Neat Decorative Light Project

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 10:26 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure what the TABC laws are but maybe try asking a bar if they can save you old bottles after they inventory and discard them. Try asking a bartender over a beer and tip them.
Old 04-11-2013, 12:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dad gave me another bottle, same as the one I used for the "glowing" Firebird.
Anyone interested in one?? Dirty 30??
Originally Posted by trajen1
A guy I work with did this a couple years back with the decorative glass block tiles you see used in bathrooms for like shower walls and stuff. He made killing on them around Xmas time. He had problems until he got some good glass bits so don't waste your time on the cheap bits if your having problems with drilling the glass.
If I could make some decent cash on these, that'd be fantastic. I think I've found some great bits. Cuts through the glass very quickly and pretty cleanly. Where did your friend sell his blocks at?
Originally Posted by BigSteele
Looks good!
Instead of sanding, consider using some glass etching compound which is like an acid paste that will haze the glass. I got some from Hobby Lobby. You can use tape to mask off a design, wipe it on, let it sit then wipe it off.
I saw the glass etching stuff, and I'd really like to try it but it's pricey. I think if I get a decent amount of interest in these, I'll definitely consider the investment.
Originally Posted by BigSteele
Not sure what the TABC laws are but maybe try asking a bar if they can save you old bottles after they inventory and discard them. Try asking a bartender over a beer and tip them.
I was under the impression they HAVE to discard the bottles, or at the very least ruin the labels. Initially I wanted to keep the labels in presentable shape, but if I'm going to be removing them I'll definitely ask. Thanks for the reminder. Next time I'm at a bar, I'll have to inquire.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

So little update-
I received my order of lights earlier this week. Ordered a few other colors for future projects and a set of battery operated LEDs. Figured the LED strands would be great for mobility (table centerpiece, area without outlets, etc).

I was severely disappointed in the light output of the LEDs , so much that I think one strand is defective. The "better" strand I put in the bottle for comparison purposes. You can see the pics below:

(The above pics used a warm-white strand):

Red:

Bright-White LEDs:

Red and Warm-White produce about the same light output, and honestly it's hard to tell the difference between the two light strands. The LEDs are well... yea.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:40 AM
Teching In

i might look into doing something like this! pretty cool idea...

got bored at work one day and decided to make this...

still have to get a different/better lamp shade for it, all in all i think it came out pretty good!
Old 04-19-2013, 12:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

^That's awesome!
Old 04-22-2013, 12:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Finished another Firebird bottle today for a member on another forum. Decided to do a side-by-side shot comparing the warm white-light bulbs and the red bulbs-

Old 04-22-2013, 08:21 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Looks a little Whiskey Tango.

Last edited by -Ross-; 04-22-2013 at 10:03 AM.
Old 05-02-2013, 11:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Paint wasn't fully dry, so instead of putting wire through hole in the back, I just stuffed them through the top to get pics.
Warm-White lights:

Plan on installing Red once the paint is fully dry.

Also, guy I sold the other Firebird bottle to sent this:
Old 05-13-2013, 04:38 PM
Staging Lane

hhmm looks like im going home to empty some bottles
Old 09-13-2024, 07:19 AM

Default Best Car Headlights

Upgrade your driving experience with the best car headlights, offering superior brightness, clarity, and durability. Designed for enhanced visibility and safety, these headlights improve night driving and adverse weather conditions. Perfect for any vehicle, they combine cutting-edge technology with long-lasting performance to ensure you see and are seen on the road.
https://futurestiles.com/

Quick Reply: Neat Decorative Light Project