LS1 Candidate Car

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2014 | 09:24 PM
Launching!

Default LS1 Candidate Car

I am looking to do a LS swap on a 71 Camaro located in Austin. I have debated putting the car up here to get opinions on it, b/c I thought someone might nab it but so be it.

http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/cto/4515089861.html

I would like to put in an LS motor paired with a manual trans. It already has the T400 in it so that would have to be replaced. This is the first LS swap I will be attempting and I am trying to find a car that is the best candidate for me to start on. I just wanted to get your thoughts on this car, and what else I should look at before jumping in on a project car.

Thanks guys.

MB
Old 07-06-2014 | 11:49 PM
TECH Addict

Sounds like you don't know what you're doing if you don't know how to put a manual transmission in the car.

I would pass on that car, anyone who cared would have posted the build pics not just the car rattle canned in primer
Old 07-07-2014 | 12:30 AM
Launching!

No I don't know what I am doing, but I have decided this is what I would like to try to do. I am just a guy looking for a good project car. I really just want to learn, and try to understand all this. Everyone has to start somewhere.

I guess I might even consider buying a LS conversion car that is already completed as well.

However, it sure would be great if I could do it myself.
Old 07-07-2014 | 02:37 AM
TECH Resident

that car needs alot for someone who doesn't know what they are doing.. I would suggest trying to LS swap a thirdgen or something.
Old 07-07-2014 | 05:09 AM
TECH Resident

A second gen is no harder to swap than a third gen. Really easy swaps actually. I would suggest starting with a complete car though. Between Protouring.com nastyz28 and here there is plenty of sources and info to complete your swap.
Old 07-07-2014 | 05:51 AM
TECH Resident

Go for it. There are tons of parts and knowledge sources out the to help you along. Wiring is the most scary part for a beginner and an empty shell makes it much easier. There are plenty of plug and play wiring harnesses with great instructions out there, for the body and the motor. Get a speedway motors catalog or visit there sight for q good starting point and get a LS swap guide book. If you aren't lazy, it ain't ****. All old cars should have a swap. If you start a build thread and keep it updated with plenty of pics folks around here will chime in to help. There will always be Debby Downers because they are right no matter what. Good luck.
Old 07-07-2014 | 06:59 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Mike Blanco
No I don't know what I am doing, but I have decided this is what I would like to try to do. I am just a guy looking for a good project car. I really just want to learn, and try to understand all this. Everyone has to start somewhere.

I guess I might even consider buying a LS conversion car that is already completed as well.

However, it sure would be great if I could do it myself.
Didn't mean to be harsh but you made pretty much the same thread in the manual transmission forum. Putting in a manual transmission into a shell is pretty simple since nothing is in there anyways

Again I'm not fond on that car unless the seller posts pictures of the build because some of those primer areas look wavy like a lot of bondo and cutting corners in the build went on

Quick Reply: LS1 Candidate Car