Bad fuel pump?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2015, 08:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Bad fuel pump?

I'm leaning towards almost certain, but before diving into that would just like some other views. Went out to start my 02 ta this morning and was struggling on its idle so I gave it a bit of gas and it shut down. Tried again, couldn't ever come to its own to idle and pressing the gas killed anything it had going for it. Under the hood, I've got a fuel pressure gauge at the rail on the passenger side, reads zero. Key on , key off, zero. I can hear the fuel pumps little hum as I turn the key to the on position, but I'm not getting any pressure at the rails. also checked all fuses under hood and side of dash. Thoughts? Video below is at the fuel filter. New filter as well.

Old 08-01-2015, 09:46 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Bud I had the same problem last weekend, turned out to be a failing fuel pump, all the same symptoms you have. the pump did not go out all the way but it did start to go out enough to where it was not building enough pressure. I could hear and feel the pump prime when key was switched to on but little to no pressure at the rails. Hope that helps
Old 08-01-2015, 03:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

At least you have a 99-02 you can get the whole assembly brand new for like $80 where as on my 98 ls1 it was like $189
Old 08-01-2015, 05:25 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, the "plan" was to replace it after I swapped my 402 in and changed out rear ends. But fbods clearly dictate their own plan. Upgrades come early I suppose. I just couldn't see anything else keeping pressure from the rails other than a weak fuel pump.

Quick Reply: Bad fuel pump?