T56 f body

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2018, 11:12 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default T56 f body

I am looking at getting a 99 formula and had a question. The car has a centerforce dual friction in it. Trying to put it into first it grinds however you can pul ut into second and then go into first without issue any ideas? If its a syncro how hard is it gonna be to fix or how much is it gonna cost.
Old 08-01-2018, 09:28 PM
Staging Lane

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been through the ringer with the clutch hydraulic system on my 1999 T56 Trans Am. We need to know more details here: stock clutch master or aftermarket adjustable? Any transmission work done recently? How many miles on the transmission? Is the car using the proper slave cylinder shim (there is a measurement process for this), etc.

Honestly though you don't even have to tell me those details because you're better off just assuming that something is wrong with the current set up that will need to be fixed. Grinding/noises are never a good sign.

One way to get a feel for it is to jack the back wheels off of the ground, put it into first gear and continue to fully press down on the clutch pedal, are the wheels still spinning? If yes, you have a disengagement issue going on which could be the cause of too many things for me to go in depth about right now.
Old 08-03-2018, 06:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Hydraulic issues usually don't care what gear you're going into. Most likely a synchro or bent fork.

Quick Reply: T56 f body