Late Registration Penalties?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2023, 05:16 PM
TECH Regular

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts
Default Late Registration Penalties?

Hey all,

My TA was last registered in 2019 and its registration expired in June 2020. Just before getting an inspection in 2020 my clutch went out, the pandemic hit, wait lists on parts became a thing, etc. Well a lot of life events occurred and I decided to redo the interior and the car has been in the garage since. Without an interior I can't get it inspected so I can't keep the registration up to date. I looked at my county website and TXDOT and there are no real answers to what fees I will face or what paperwork would be needed to re-register. I still have the registration renewal form, never received a citation in the mail, and I did have custom plates (Military service plates). I am assuming the plates will have to be re-applied for. Will I need to show any evidence of the car being in non-road worthy condition when I re-register? All I have are photos with date/time meta data and some parts invoices. Outside of the mileage not moving in around 2 years from last maintenance prior to the issues I ran into is there anything I can do to avoid any fines/fees?
Old 06-05-2023, 10:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts

No penalty or paperwork, just go get it inspected and registered like usual. Not sure on the custom plates, but they will usually let you keep your plates.
The following users liked this post:
1972_Z-28 (06-21-2023)
Old 06-05-2023, 10:53 PM
makes children cry

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i know that whenever winter storage or deployments overlapped my plate expiration, TN always let me essentially start fresh with no penalty so long as i submitted a notarized affidavit stating that it hadn't been driven.
Old 06-06-2023, 12:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by _zebra
i know that whenever winter storage or deployments overlapped my plate expiration, TN always let me essentially start fresh with no penalty so long as i submitted a notarized affidavit stating that it hadn't been driven.
Texas doesn't even do that. They just ask you if you've had any tickets for expired registration, then have you sign the receipt. Really the only penalty we have is if you don't transfer the title to your name within 30 days.
jmilz28 (12-07-2023)
Old 06-06-2023, 10:51 PM
makes children cry

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JC316
Texas doesn't even do that. They just ask you if you've had any tickets for expired registration, then have you sign the receipt. Really the only penalty we have is if you don't transfer the title to your name within 30 days.
gotcha... that sounds easy enough. the deal with TN is if you don't file the non-use affidavit, your renewal would be from whenever it was last due (e.g., expire in October but stored for winter, renew plate the following May, they send you a 1yr registration that'll expire in October).
Old 06-14-2023, 08:41 AM
On The Tree

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Similar story here - I had one of my cars get hit last year right when registration was due (my wife had just taken it to get inspected and it failed for tint, and was hit on the way home). It took forever waiting on parts/paint. It ended up being close to six months overdue, and we just took it in like normal and they updated the registration. Now instead of it being due in September like it was, it's due in March. No biggie.
jmilz28 (12-07-2023)
Old 11-30-2023, 03:18 PM
Teching In

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HoustonSS
Similar story here - I had one of my cars get hit last year right when registration was due (my wife had just taken it to get inspected and it failed for tint, and was hit on the way home). It took forever waiting on parts/paint. It ended up being close to six months overdue, and we just took it in like normal and they updated the registration. Now instead of it being due in September like it was, it's due in March. No biggie.
Correct, if you get a expired registration ticket it reverts back to the original expiration date. If not it goes to the previous month of renewal. At least it did for me.
jmilz28 (12-07-2023)

Quick Reply: Late Registration Penalties?