My Thanksgiving Experience

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2004, 02:13 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default My Thanksgiving Experience

Well, this year for Thanksgiving I was scheduled to be celebrating by myself. My folks went up to Colorado to visit my little brother while he's away at college. They also used their time up there to do a little skiing at our house in Winter Park. I wasn't able to make it due to school and work obligations.

On Wednesday night I was watching the evening news and they had a small segment about how an organization named 'Volunteer Houston' needed people to volunteer their time to help run an event called the 'Thanksgiving Houston Superfeast'. It's an event that apparently has been going on for quite some time. I believe that in years past it's been held at the George R. Brown Convention Center. Anyways, I decided that instead of feeling down because I was by myself on Thanksgiving, I would go volunteer my time to help those that are much less-fortunate than I am.

The entire experience was awesome. The work wasn't exactly fun (I basically moved boxes and bags of food, set up tables/chairs, and picked up trash) but it was VERY rewarding. I was able to walk away from today feeling better about being me because I had done something to help those in need. There were a lot of people volunteering, including lots of families. It was great to see everybody giving something to others instead of taking.

I hope to be able to do this again next year. I'm even going to look for a way to volunteer during this holiday season. The same organization runs events all throughout the year. You can check out their website at www.volunteerhouston.org. I definately recommend everybody do this at least once. It's a VERY humbling experience.

I'm rambling now, so I'll stop, but I hope that maybe this can make somebody's day just that a little better.

Ben
Old 11-26-2004, 02:25 AM
TECH Addict

Good job man!! Helping the less fortunate is so awesome, a couple of years ago, I did the same thing you did, I left with a feeling that I had helped someone out, felt like I had made some ones day!! It felt sooo awesome!!!
Old 11-26-2004, 02:36 AM
TECH Pimp

Nice job ben I know you had other plans you gave up for this. Way to make a difference!
Old 11-26-2004, 04:30 AM
Texas Director

Thats awesome. I've always wanted to help out by serving those on Thanksgiving at the GRB that are less fortunate than others. My sister and brother-in-law did it this year. I'd definitely like to do it next year.
Old 11-26-2004, 05:28 AM
((((((Administrator))))))

Nice job Ben!

Peace,
Craig.
Old 11-26-2004, 06:55 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That was nice of you.