Car "bucking" in reverse

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2005, 10:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Car "bucking" in reverse

My car bucks REALLY hard in reverse and it just started doing it with the breaking of the 3rd Edelbrock torque arm. It does fine in forward gears but in reverse it feels like some heavy duty clutch chatter, like when I didn't know how to drive my Spec 3, but I know that's not it because it just started. I think it may be a motor mount, but I don't know how to test that theory without taking it off and visually inspecting it. Any ideas on other things I should check?
Old 02-01-2005, 12:25 AM
ACW
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't have any good suggestions for ya, but just wanted to say that I had some similar behavior on my car a while back, which replacing the motor mounts took care of... It was doing it some in forward (mainly 1st gear) too, though not nearly as noticeable as in reverse, so maybe your problem isn't quite the same.
Old 02-01-2005, 01:19 AM
TECH Resident

I replaced my drivers side motor mount at like 85,000 and the rubber wasnt even bonded to the metal shell anymore...it was soft and worn out. I could watch the engine shake at an idle, and I had the stock cam in it so I knew that SOMETHING was up lol ( mine is a 97 camaro with an LS1 and the exaust was hitting the body also so i just went with the poly's)
Old 02-01-2005, 07:56 AM
Teching In

I think that it just may be your motor mount. I've got a buddy (Hank) with a similar problem and he replaced both his motor mounts and it solved the problem. But that was Hank.
Old 02-01-2005, 08:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Mother fugger.

Thanks Craig.
Old 02-01-2005, 09:28 AM
TECH Addict

to check you need 2 people. one under the hood, on the side of the car with feet out of the way of the tire. then start car, put in gear with parking break on. if the engine starts to rise a lot you most likely broke motor mount. easier on auto.

Quick Reply: Car "bucking" in reverse