need help

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2005, 09:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default need help

All right my friends got a 04 mustang gt heres what happened he was driving home on 45 and he had to exit so he decided to drop it he dropped the car in third and he wasnt keeping an eye on his rpm and it hit the rev limiter as soon as it did he shifted to fourth but when he did the car felt like the tcs kicked in it was violently jerking so when it did that he put the clutch in and put the car in neutral and when he got off of 45 and came to a complete stop the motor was surging and the check engine light came on. He had to get home so he just kept driving right around the corner from his house the check eng light starts blinking rapidly. he got home and opened the hood the car was smoking a lot. He also had an exhasut leak prior to this so thats where im guessing the smokes coming from. The car still drives fine just idles pretty rough and sputters when he takes off. He had the code checked and it has 2 codes
p0302-misfire in cylinder 2
p0306-misfire in cylinder 6
they said it could be the spark plugs but he already changed them and its still the same. any help will be appreciated Thanks.
Old 05-25-2005, 03:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I am thinking it could be a head gasket but not sure what do yall think?
Old 05-25-2005, 03:48 PM
TECH Regular

My '02 Crown Vic (patrol car) is doing the same thing. Check engine light flashes and the car bogs down real bad under load. Then it will come on steady and the car will run like total ****.

The guys at the county garage replaced several coil packs and it helped.

Just my .02 Hope it helps
Old 05-25-2005, 03:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Why did he have to downshift to exit? If he over reved due to a down shift, the rev limiter would not save you from doing valve train damage. If that is the case, it would be noisy (the valve train), and it would run poorly.