Do we have scammers here on the board?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2006 | 08:23 AM
TECH Fanatic
10 Year Member20 Year Member

Originally Posted by CHOCTAW
I don't really feel like reading all that ****, no offense..
Have you ever made a quality post? Get the **** off this board.
Old 11-27-2006 | 08:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Receiving Western Union is almost scam free. Seriously. You walk in, show your driver license, fill out a form, and walk out with cash.

If they are offering to send you cash via Western Union, the only way you can possibly get burned is a wild goose chase (you go to the store and there's no money). Western Union is cash.

If they want YOU to send cash, then Western Union offers no buyer protection at all. It's like handing the guy on the street corner cash and telling him to go buy you a stereo or something. Once the cash leaves your hands, it is GONE.

But receiving, there's no problem. Honestly, from your description, it sounds legit.
Old 11-27-2006 | 08:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

The only times I've ever been burned on sales or purchases was when Western Union was involved. Not to say that it's not a good idea, but I've never had a smooth transaction with them. It's more trouble than its worth IMO.

However, with that being said, if they want it shipped to a third party, get a first, middle, and last name of someone at the shipping address and speak to them yourself and see if they know what you are talking about. That way you can at least have some sort of US contact for the transaction and maybe get a little better feel for what's going on.
Old 11-27-2006 | 09:25 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

If they pay via Western Union, you are okay. Just make sure you are paid before shipping anything. We have quite a few Kuwait and UAE members, those guys are crazy about V8 LS1 stuff too. I don't see a problem if you are paid/cashed first.

As for scammers, welcome to the internet
Old 11-27-2006 | 10:03 AM
TECH Resident

Maybe they are military people and gave you their home address while they are on a tod in said country?
Old 11-27-2006 | 10:21 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder
20 Year Member

Just make sure you are paid up front. I got a wire transfer from a guy in Kuwait and sold him my complete supercharger setup.
Old 11-27-2006 | 10:39 AM
Teching In

i read it, and it may not necessarly be a scam (but idk). for what its worth, i too had trouble signing up for paypal because at the moment, im in another country (phillippines). i tried signing up using a credit card from the united states and used my home address there (it also had the same billing address and all). they stated that since im in another country they couldn't verify me. than i called them and they said they couldn't do it. i got an email explaining it, but to be honest i forgot what it said.
Old 11-27-2006 | 10:58 AM
TECH Junkie

I havent read all the posts. but I see some of you saying that western union is "cash". I dont agree. western union is the way that most people scam on the internet. They always ask to send western union. and somehow they scam the people. I would personally NEVER use western union from stories that i've heard. A couple yrs back. My dumb *** friend sold his xbox and got payment via western union. needless to say. he got ripped off. Not sure of the exact details just remember him telling me about it. either way. I'd just be patient and wait till you have a buyer that seems legit. Better then taking the risk if you have any doubt.
Old 11-27-2006 | 10:59 AM
9 Second Club NA

This would be the only way I'd feel comfortable:

He wires the money through Western Union, I walk in to my local Western Union agent that deals with a large amount of money so they have enough to pay out, fill out the form, receive the check, cash the check, walk out with money/cash in hand. Then send the items/package to the requested destination and be done with it. Is there anyway they could burn me? Again, to send money, you either have to pay with a credit card, debit, or cash. So obviously however it was paid went through. Neither one of them stated that they were sending me a Western Union check in the mail. They said it would be wired, so all I would do is collect at my local agent.

Would I be out of place if I mentioned the members display names? If I did, maybe someone will know them and could vouch for them? Again, on the 2nd guy, I found a name in the members list that was similar, but with the "h" at the end of the name. Then if you viewed both profiles, they were Muslims. One had a '00 Z28, one had a '00 TA, and both from Kuwait. One was a computer engineer, the other was a PC teacher.
Old 11-27-2006 | 11:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Some of you obviously have never used Western Union. I have. I have never used it to SEND money. Listen to me now. SENDING MONEY IS INSECURE UNLESS YOU KNOW THE RECIPIENT. Did you hear me? Sending money to someone you do not personally know is like giving the junkie on the corner the cash to go buy you a stereo and bring it back to you. Will he do it? Who knows, it's not your money any more.

The issue here is RECEIVING and *not* sending. That means COLLECTING money for some of the thicker skulls here. Putting CASH in your hand. Yes, it works exactly like that. You walk in, you show ID, fill out paper, and they cut you a check. You sign the back of the check and walk out with CASH. CASH. CASH. Then you ship the stuff after you get the CASH.

Does that explain it well enough? The ONLY thing that can go wrong is that they send you on a wild goose chase and you waste your time at Western Union. You CANNOT LOSE MONEY RECEIVING MONEY! IT COSTS YOU NOTHING TO RECEIVE EXCEPT TIME!

Get it?
Old 11-27-2006 | 11:42 AM
TECH Junkie

ya i did some searches after my post. I've never personally used western union. but i see what your saying. The scams happen when you send money etc. my bad. and I think that my friend that sold the xbox used bidpay. not western union. was just thinking about that.
Old 11-27-2006 | 03:11 PM
9 Second Club NA

How far can they get with my first, middle, and last name including my email address and cell phone number? I no longer have a land line/home phone because when I switched to high speed, I got rid of it. These are the things that I have to provide so that he can send me money. I really have no choice do I? I mean, when I go to receive the money, the name and address has to match up to my license.
Old 11-27-2006 | 04:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Dragaholic
How far can they get with my first, middle, and last name including my email address and cell phone number? I no longer have a land line/home phone because when I switched to high speed, I got rid of it. These are the things that I have to provide so that he can send me money. I really have no choice do I? I mean, when I go to receive the money, the name and address has to match up to my license.

ya i dont think the fulll name/email address etc is a big deal. BUT

he might want all that info so his friends can send you some scammer emails. obviously if they have your full name etc. the emails sound more legit etc. but who knows.

kind of weird how he disappeared after you were asking questions etc.
Old 11-27-2006 | 06:04 PM
Staging Lane

I use Craigslist alot and am thankful that people post the scammer's messages. It helps the rest of us steer clear of them. Bunch of jackasses trying to ruin a good thing...

On your wanting to let everyone know the screen names of these two; I think it's a good idea. You're not accusing them of trying to scam you, all your asking is for someone to vouch for them and know that this is legit. It's no different then feedback on Ebay. Who really wants to sell something expensive to someone with no feedback and a Middle East address?
Old 11-27-2006 | 06:12 PM
9 Second Club NA

1st member:

V8_Club - Nabil - Wanted me to ship to Auto Buffs in New Jersey.

2nd member:

Abdullah - Abdullah - Wanted me to ship to New York.

Then searching through the members list, I found:

Abdulla - Very similar profile as the one above.

Last edited by Dragaholic; 11-27-2006 at 06:32 PM.
Old 11-27-2006 | 07:45 PM
9 Second Club NA

Does anyone know the members I posted above?

What's/who's Craig's list?
Old 11-27-2006 | 07:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Have to be scammers! You are smarter than most people, b/c these people make a living pulling that kind of **** off.
Old 11-27-2006 | 08:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Never heard of those guys before. Gotta be careful these days. I've only been scammed once, and it was on this site about 2 years ago. I still have his address, so if I'm ever near Oklahoma City I'm gonna try to pay him a little visit .
Old 11-27-2006 | 08:36 PM
TECH Junkie

in one of "v8_club"'s post he says that he is a member of "CF", not sure what that is.but mayb ehe has some feedback on there. this seems like a lot of work to sell these parts. and even if you do go through with it. you might feel uneasy about it for a long time after giving them all your info.
Old 11-27-2006 | 08:36 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Dragaholic
Does anyone know the members I posted above?

What's/who's Craig's list?

Personally, I would hold out on a local sale rather than chance either one of them ripping me off. Nothing against them, but their names don't exactly scream honesty, especially since they both tried to get you to do basically the same thing.

Craigslist is a site that you can post things to sale or buy and there isn't a charge for posting an ad. I've sold and bought plenty on there. Here is a link to see the closest city to you if you're interested.

Craigslist