Front and Rear Cover Alignment Tools

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 01:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Front and Rear Cover Alignment Tools

Does anyone in Houston have a J 41476 and J 41480, the front and rear engine cover alignment tools from kent moore I desperately need to borrow (preferably) or buy them. Im moving off to school in a little over a week and have an engine less car.

From my other post:
How can this be done? I have read about the J 41476 and J 41480 specialty tools, but they seem to go for A LOT of money. How can it be done without them? I am talking about the rear engine cover. We have used a feeler gauge on the rear seal to get equal distance between the two tabs on protruding toward the crank, but it looks like there is too much space on the bottom part, matting to the oil pan. Any input is appreciated. Thanks.
Old 12-27-2006, 07:39 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

To my knowledge the critical dimension is the front cover to oil pan and the rear cover to the oil pan. A easy way to install is to install the harmonic dampner {crank pulley} and leave the front cover bolts loose. Once the crank pulley is installed use a straight edge to align the front cover to the oil pan rails on both sides. Use the straight edge on the rear cover to pan rail as well. I have installed a lot of Front and rear covers this way and have not have any leaks.
Old 12-27-2006, 08:00 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ls1Joe
To my knowledge the critical dimension is the front cover to oil pan and the rear cover to the oil pan. A easy way to install is to install the harmonic dampner {crank pulley} and leave the front cover bolts loose. Once the crank pulley is installed use a straight edge to align the front cover to the oil pan rails on both sides. Use the straight edge on the rear cover to pan rail as well. I have installed a lot of Front and rear covers this way and have not have any leaks.
I do something very simular and haven't had any problems either.
Old 12-27-2006, 08:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks ill take a look at in a min. and BTW Joe, my Dad is the one that bought the LS1 block from you all a few weeks back. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Front and Rear Cover Alignment Tools