Tune for car?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2007, 11:38 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tune for car?

I know a tune is usually needed when you change the air ratio of the car? I have full exhaust, longtubes and back and the slp lid..... do you think a tune is needed.... or wait until I put heads/cam on it... maybe in about 2 more months? What is the best place to take to in Houston... how much does it cost..... would I notice a difference..... each mod I add to the car would it cost a lot to get it tune each time?

This is for a 00 TA
Old 01-27-2007, 12:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

most tuner do it for 300-500 dollars and give you like 6-12 months on free upgrades then charge like 20 dollars or so after each retune but if you dont want to pay the top dollar for tunes theres people that tune for less from there home and are still great tuners
Old 01-27-2007, 06:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by freni32
I know a tune is usually needed when you change the air ratio of the car? I have full exhaust, longtubes and back and the slp lid..... do you think a tune is needed.... or wait until I put heads/cam on it... maybe in about 2 more months? What is the best place to take to in Houston... how much does it cost..... would I notice a difference..... each mod I add to the car would it cost a lot to get it tune each time?

This is for a 00 TA
tuning always maximizes your performance potential (and in some cases your day to day operation). Whether you "feel" it or not depends on how out of whack your hardware is responding to current parameters in the tune. If you are planning to do internal modifications in te near future you have 2 choices:

1) Find a place that will retune for a minimal charge or free, so that when you step up, you'll be covered

2) Wait until you've done the modifications and then go see your tuner, until then I'd have fun with the car, but understand that there could be a possibility that your car running rich or lean or pulling timing, etc so drive according to however your confidence is.

At the very least, you will probably need to have a few DTCs turned off, any SES lights going off? Unless your car is one of those that doesn't take well to modding, you probably won't truly notice any measurable gain from tuning right now, though it will be there. Now an internally modified car that runs poorly, will show the greatest mark of improvement with a good tune. It'll be like night and day.
Old 01-27-2007, 10:03 AM
TECH Junkie

A re-tune took me from 308hp to 333hp with just long tube headers and a catback, so yeah, it's worth it. G-Force did mine, and it was around $500, but all re-tunes are free. And they mean it. I've had my car re-tuned there three times (not counting the base tune) for one reason or another (configuration changes, troubleshooting) and haven't had to pay a dime on any of those occasions.

I'm sure the other sponsors in the Houston area take care of their customers too, but G-Force has always done well by me, so I've never had a need to go anywhere else.

-Mike
Old 01-27-2007, 12:04 PM
8 Sec Tuner

Thanks for the kind words Mike.