Need help w/brakes!

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2007, 02:23 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need help w/brakes!

First off I tried search with no help!

Okay so my brakes had gotten pretty bad and I finally got around to doing them yesterday, so I wen tup to Autozone and bought 2 new front rotors and the pads. Got home put the car up, took the wheel off, then the caliper, then the bracket and finally the rotor. Next I took and old pad and a C-clamp and pushed the pistons back, but the bracket back in place, installed the pads on it, then slid the caliper on with very little effort. Bolted it back in place, then I checked it by turning the rotor and it was a bit hard I had too use some good amount of force to turn it, I was told this was normal. So I took it out for a drive pumped the brakes a couple of times, everything seemed fine. Took it home and started the next side. I did the exact same on this side, when I checked this one however it was impossible to turn but I figured maybe its just that way. I have changed plenty of brakes in the past never with that problem though. So again I pumped the brakes and off I went for the test drive, the car felt very laggy and it took extra effort to get it going, so I put it in neutral and sure enough it came to a stop on its own and A small amount of steam or w/e was coming from the passenger wheel well. So I though that it was just too much fluid in the reservoir so took it home and sure enough too much fluid so I bled them a bit back to normal level but they are still not releasing the passenger is the worse but the drivers side is holding on a bit too. So I need help determining what my problem is. I belief I did everything right, like I said I have done it before not on these cars though. So please help!!! thanks...
Old 06-17-2007, 02:26 PM
Banned

Rebuild the caliper or replace them both. Something is not releasing completely.

By chance did you lube the cailper pins as well?
Old 06-17-2007, 02:28 PM
On The Tree

Yeah that what I was thinking too, cause when I pushed them back it seem like they should have gone a bit further than they did, just wasnt dure and need more input, thanks...

Caliper pins?
Old 06-17-2007, 02:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Check your caliper slide bolts, I had a problem with the rear brakeson my Vette and had a bent slide bolt that would put the caliper in a bind when I tightened it. After you install the caliper, make sure you can move it back and forth easily.
Old 06-17-2007, 02:51 PM
On The Tree

Back and forth how? They feel real tight when I put them on over the bracket and pads (passenger side) and its hard to align the bolts cause its so tight. Thats why I was thinking the pistons didnt go back as far as they should have.

My side bolts move fine, I have taken them on and off many times now tring to find the problem with no luck...
Old 06-17-2007, 04:20 PM
On The Tree

Alright well I need my car back up so Im just going to go buy new calipers. More in-put though in case that doesnt work, which would suck...
Old 06-17-2007, 04:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well, what you could do is put the calipers back on without the pads in, and see if you can move the caliper through its full range. If it does, then you have a sticking piston.
Old 06-17-2007, 05:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did they get so bad that you pushed the piston all the way out of the caliper? If so there is a square cut seal that is 99% impossible to get back in. Although unlikely it could even be your master. There are bleed back holes that shold allow fluid to come back after breaking. This usually doesnt happen unless the fluid has somehow gotten alot of water or junk in it. Hope you get it figured out.
Old 06-17-2007, 05:33 PM
On The Tree

Well they seem to be disengaging and engaging fine, they just don't seem to disengage all they way or something like that. I just got home with some new calipers I'm going to try them. I hope its not the master, although the fluid look bad, very bad looks like milky motor oil but still thin like it should be I'm changing that out as well. Wish me luck....

Oh and no the piston didnt come out...
Old 06-17-2007, 06:42 PM
On The Tree

Okay so I think I may have found the problem. Now my problem is I dont know how to fix it!

Well after trying many diffrent things I found that the bracket isnt allowing the caliper to sit straight on the rotor and is causeing the rotor to ride sideways. I found this by placing 2 wheel studs on the rotor so they would hold it staright then i placed the pads on the bracketand everything was turning fine. Then i placed half of the caliper on there and everything was still turning fine but when I went to align the hole to bolt the caliper to the bracket the caliper wouldnt go over the bracket. There is a little thing like a female ending of the bolt in the bracket the moved when I first took them off but now its frozen and wont move, im thinking that this is suppose to maybe move down and allow the caliber to go over the bracket but since it it frozen and wont move its broken. So now im thinking that I need new brakets? please help I have never had so much troble changing brakes before!!!
Old 06-17-2007, 07:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Alright, well it sounds like you may have a stuck slide bolt, these are the pieces on the caliper that the caliper bolts go into. They have a rubber seal on them and should move freely in and out. If they don't, which I am suspecting is the case, than you can pull them out and lube them up with some high temp. grease. Make sure they can move freely, and you should be fine.
Old 06-17-2007, 08:29 PM
On The Tree

How can I pull them out? I have been reading up a bit and the only thread I found a guy had to use a torch to loosen them up, I dont have access to one.

You mean the ones in the braket right not the caliper?
Old 06-17-2007, 10:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yes, those are what I am referring to, its kind of hard to explain that without something to look at. You should be able to pull them out without a torch, just pull on the rubber boot and it should come right out.
Old 06-17-2007, 10:12 PM
On The Tree

Well I pulled one of the boots out already but it still didnt move, there was a lot of rust flakes in there though. I heard something about drilling them out, so I might try that tomorrow i guess. Any other ideas?
Old 06-17-2007, 10:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Wow, well, you may try some WD-40 or some sort of penetrant and see if you can get it to loosen up. If they are really stuck, the brakes would never work right.
Old 06-18-2007, 01:35 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

compress the pistons more with the c clamp is my suggestion. when i did my brakes all i did was use the old pad as a lever to put more seperation between them to fit back on the rotor.
Old 06-18-2007, 08:47 PM
On The Tree

I tried that chryselr kid, I even bought new calipers. Its those damn guide pins, tried getting them out with no luck. Now im just in need of new brakets...