Dyno tune shop in dfw?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 10:33 AM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not tuning anything "inside" the trans. What we are doing is custom tuning the shift points for the given combination. We are modifying the PWM based on the combination and tranny build. We are changing the TCC apply and release points. We change the Pressure tables depending on the build and combination.

What we have found is guys will change their cam and converter and will run into driveability issues. They'll think there is a problem with the converter or the engine and all that is going on is the factory tune needs to be modified to accomodate the the changes that were made.

g
Old 07-12-2007, 10:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ratchthed
Not tuning anything "inside" the trans. What we are doing is custom tuning the shift points for the given combination. We are modifying the PWM based on the combination and tranny build. We are changing the TCC apply and release points. We change the Pressure tables depending on the build and combination.

What we have found is guys will change their cam and converter and will run into driveability issues. They'll think there is a problem with the converter or the engine and all that is going on is the factory tune needs to be modified to accomodate the the changes that were made.

g
With any decently sized cam, a good tune is required for driveablity and reaching max effort out of any combo.
Old 07-12-2007, 10:59 AM
FormerVendor

Agreed... would you believe that we had a 2002 SS car here this week that had a "decent sized cam" / head combo installed and tuned by a highly respected shop in D/FW that had a tranny that was built no less than 5 times in the last 3 years that had the stock tranny tune in it? This car has a 3000 Stall Vig in it.

As a little insight here.... how well do you think that car ran when it went into lock at 30 mph in 3rd gear... not well at all. That is but one adjustment we made to his Transmission Tables! He is a very stisfied customer.

Not ******* any other shop here... the point is that most guys tolerate a car that has significant mods that has poor in town driveability because they thnik that's how it should run... like i said before, this isn't for everybody, just the most discerning of guys who want more out of their car.
Old 07-12-2007, 11:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Agreed... would you believe that we had a 2002 SS car here this week that had a "decent sized cam" / head combo installed and tuned by a highly respected shop in D/FW that had a tranny that was built no less than 5 times in the last 3 years that had the stock tranny tune in it? This car has a 3000 Stall Vig in it.

As a little insight here.... how well do you think that car ran when it went into lock at 30 mph in 3rd gear... not well at all. That is but one adjustment we made to his Transmission Tables! He is a very stisfied customer.

Not ******* any other shop here... the point is that most guys tolerate a car that has significant mods that has poor in town driveability because they thnik that's how it should run... like i said before, this isn't for everybody, just the most discerning of guys who want more out of their car.
What shop was that.

Stock rebuilds?
Old 07-12-2007, 11:03 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by BadCompany VP WS6
What shop was that.

Stock rebuilds?
No sir. They do not build stock rebuild cars. Please do not construe my comments as generating controversy. That is not my goal at all.

I am merely using that car as an example of the good we can do for folks.
Old 07-12-2007, 11:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

No sir. They do not build stock rebuild cars. Please do not construe my comments as generating controversy. That is not my goal at all.

I am merely using that car as an example of the good we can do for folks.
I think you got it wrong. I was simply asking just wondering for my own purposes about the trans.

5 times is alot times to break them unless he was making gobbs of power. My built 60E has over 500 on it, and over 50 approx. track passes on this setup and everyday driving 40+ miles each day, not to mention the crazy amount of ragging I did with it on the motor setup. Just wondering if those were stock rebuilds on the transmissions. Not implying you guys built them, just wondering is all.
Old 07-12-2007, 11:34 AM
FormerVendor

Ya gotta love the internet... conversations can get wacky right!?!

The guys who did his engine mods did not do the tranny... it is the engine shop who I was referring to that did his tune. Some of those guys are famous for their engine tuning, and make a good effort at dialing in the tranny, but sometimes they just don't go into those tables in order to improve driveability... that was the case for the car I referenced.

From what I what understand, the customer had his car to 2 different shops for those builds, they were performance builds. We are not familiar with either shop, they are not well known to us and my builder has been in the F/W area building for over 25 years... it amazes me the folks he knows!

The unit as we found it was a study in how not to build a high performance transmission... or bicycle for that matter. It had multiple accumulator pistons in the piston bores, it had a ridiculously harsh shift feel that flat wore out some hard parts. Both valve body seperator plates were missing and the list goes on... no Beast sunshell, no mods to the hydraulic circuits for improved oiling and on and on. It was one of the sloppiest builds I have ever seen.

That sort of build might work well in some units... but definately not the 4L60E! I am sure the last guy had good intentions... I suspect he was just over his head and was in a hurry.

You know... now that I think about it I think I know you car! You were out one night recently when we ran the Nova solo! That was like our 4th or 5th hit with that car. Yours is a Pewter car right? Nice ride indeed!

Come by and say hi sometime!
Old 07-12-2007, 11:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Ya gotta love the internet... conversations can get wacky right!?!

The guys who did his engine mods did not do the tranny... it is the engine shop who I was referring to that did his tune. Some of those guys are famous for their engine tuning, and make a good effort at dialing in the tranny, but sometimes they just don't go into those tables in order to improve driveability... that was the case for the car I referenced.

From what I what understand, the customer had his car to 2 different shops for those builds, they were performance builds. We are not familiar with either shop, they are not well known to us and my builder has been in the F/W area building for over 25 years... it amazes me the folks he knows!

The unit as we found it was a study in how not to build a high performance transmission... or bicycle for that matter. It had multiple accumulator pistons in the piston bores, it had a ridiculously harsh shift feel that flat wore out some hard parts. Both valve body seperator plates were missing and the list goes on... no Beast sunshell, no mods to the hydraulic circuits for improved oiling and on and on. It was one of the sloppiest builds I have ever seen.

That sort of build might work well in some units... but definately not the 4L60E! I am sure the last guy had good intentions... I suspect he was just over his head and was in a hurry.

You know... now that I think about it I think I know you car! You were out one night recently when we ran the Nova solo! That was like our 4th or 5th hit with that car. Yours is a Pewter car right? Nice ride indeed!

Come by and say hi sometime!

Yeah, it can get a little mixed up sometimes. I was just wondering if the builds were stock or what.

Yeah I was there, spun my *** off that night too I got a line lock to take care of the car not standing still doing a burn out. Not doing a good burn out hurt me. Thanks for the compliments!

Quick Reply: Dyno tune shop in dfw?