Speeding ticket advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 02:10 PM
ZRO
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speeding ticket advice

Alright I got a ticket back in August and decided to take defensive driving. I sent out for my drivers record ( which is pure bullshit, scam to get 10 dollars) and kinda forgot all about it until maybe a week before my paperwork is due. I signed up for the online course ( what a waste of time ) and got them to get me a drivers record quicker. The record didnt come in time but I went to court to show them I took and completed the class (before the due date ). The **** at the window gets attitude and tells me we cant take this with out your drivers record. A week or so later my record makes it and I got back and then I am told I cant take this because its late. You have to pay the ticket and it goes on your record or see the judge. I decided to see the judge, and was wondering the best way about this ? I have no proof of sending for my record the first time.
Old 11-28-2007, 03:09 PM
TECH Regular

I had the same thing happen (except for well I didn't wait til the last minute it just took the state that long) and they let me turn it in, and gave me a weeks leeway to get the drivers record in. This was in Irving about 2 years ago.
Old 11-28-2007, 04:05 PM
ZRO
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by NaSSty Nate
I had the same thing happen (except for well I didn't wait til the last minute it just took the state that long) and they let me turn it in, and gave me a weeks leeway to get the drivers record in. This was in Irving about 2 years ago.
I knew a few people that didnt get their records on time and were told just bring it when you get it. Kinda why I was pissed, some old **** takes her **** *** job way to serious. I really dont mind paying the ticket but after I took the class I dont want it on my record.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:46 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ZRO
I knew a few people that didnt get their records on time and were told just bring it when you get it. Kinda why I was pissed, some old **** takes her **** *** job way to serious. I really dont mind paying the ticket but after I took the class I dont want it on my record.
that amounts to about the same as a cop having a good day when they pull you over and just giving you a warning instead of writing you a ticket....it's at their own discretion.

i mean, they do give you a full 90 days to get this stuff done....it's not their fault you waited until the last minute

i'm as much of a procrastinator as anyone else (maybe even moreso), but when it comes down to a choice between doing DD and getting the ticket removed, or having to pay the ticket and it still goes on my driving record, which increases my insurance......i'll get off my fat lazy *** and get the DD done on time......
Old 11-29-2007, 02:29 AM
TECH Junkie

this doesnt help you at all, but one time I totally forgot about getting my driving record until the day it was due. I called the court house (some small town in between waco and dallas) and she said, "well, do you swear that you have not taken defensive driving in the past year?"... "yes, i do", and that was it . She let me go with that. I'd try to call and talk with someone else if I were you. Maybe you'll get a diff answer.
Old 11-29-2007, 07:04 AM
ZRO
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 02Z28LS1
that amounts to about the same as a cop having a good day when they pull you over and just giving you a warning instead of writing you a ticket....it's at their own discretion.

i mean, they do give you a full 90 days to get this stuff done....it's not their fault you waited until the last minute

i'm as much of a procrastinator as anyone else (maybe even moreso), but when it comes down to a choice between doing DD and getting the ticket removed, or having to pay the ticket and it still goes on my driving record, which increases my insurance......i'll get off my fat lazy *** and get the DD done on time......
As far as the discretion part yea you are right. If the first drivers record would have came back I would have been good. Hopefully the judge will tell me that they will accept my paperwork or that I pay the ticket and it doesnt go on my record.
Old 11-29-2007, 07:11 AM
ZRO
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Donohue96M6Z28
this doesnt help you at all, but one time I totally forgot about getting my driving record until the day it was due. I called the court house (some small town in between waco and dallas) and she said, "well, do you swear that you have not taken defensive driving in the past year?"... "yes, i do", and that was it . She let me go with that. I'd try to call and talk with someone else if I were you. Maybe you'll get a diff answer.
I got the same old lady twice, something told me to wait for one of the younger tellers to free up and see them. My court date is set now so doubt the other tellers will help me. I really dont even feel like going to court tempted to just pay the ticket and be done with it.
Old 11-29-2007, 07:45 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The people at the court house are just doing their job. You had a period of time to meet the parameters and didn't. They don't have the discretion to change the dictates of the requirements to avoid affecting your driving record. When you miss the deadline for compliance, in some states it takes a court order to the driver licensing agency - thus, the need to see the judge. You need to consider the effects of a speeding ticket on your insurance premium/insurability. Go to court, it's an eye opener for anyone who hasn't been to a court session before. Mind your manners, speak when the judge either motions in your direction or asks you to tell your story. Tell the judge what happened; they're usually pretty helpful, unless you get an attitude.
Old 11-29-2007, 07:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

So the lesson here is not to procrastinate. Get on things ASAP.

Or just don't speed (ya right ).
Old 11-29-2007, 08:19 AM

I had to go see the judge for my ticket. I didn't get the option for DD. I was busted for 45 in a 25 school zone. I just went in and told him the truth and was very respectful. I was in an unfamiliar area and didn't notice the sign for the school zone. He removed the wreckless driving that the cop accused me of... but still made me pay for speeding in a school zone.

All I can say in your case is to be polite and hope for the best. It's a crap shoot really because you can be as nice as pie and the judge had a bad day.
Old 11-29-2007, 11:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

procrastination is like masturbation, sure it feels good at first, but in the end, you're only ******* yourself