insurance question

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 01:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Modsquad
This would be a great tool to crack down on illegal immigrants too
lol - You are assuming they actually care about the illegal immigrants. I have a friend that is a cop and he said his orders are to let them go even if they have no license and insurance.

Old 02-05-2008, 01:04 PM
Teching In

I wish Everyone had insurance, that way if I wreck I wont be stuck with the bill and instead of paying extra for Full coverage I can just get Liability, Full Coverage is expensive but I need it, i drive 60 miles a day in Houston were the majority are minorities and are some what notoriously know for not having insurance. BTW I am hispanic, so there is no racism going on here, I just know allot of illegals and black people dont have insurance, Im not saying all just the ones I've encountered. Im sure there is more important things that they do with there money and insurance is not a priority, but still I wish it was enforced heavilly by Law enforcement. Plus if you are an illegal you can still get insurance, You Dont need a license to have Insurance.

BTW stay away from Reliant Stadium area on Wednesday, there are gonna be allot of drunk uninsured drivers coming out of the MExico vs USA game....lol
Old 02-05-2008, 01:12 PM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by aggiez28
Sorry guys but you are wrong, in Texas you are not required by law to carry insurance. you can look it up for yourselves if you want.
Prove it sir, there is absolutely nothing you can show that does.

You have to have insurance to:
Register a vehicle
Get your license
Renew your license
Get inspection
Get your car out of impound

Where I live, it's a $350 ticket the first offense, and you WILL be arrested 2nd offense period. You, sir, need to check your facts.

Edit: nevermind, I checked for you, here you go.

You must maintain an insurance policy for each vehicle you own; the policy must provide at least the following minimum amounts of coverage:
  • $20,000 for bodily injury or death to one person per accident
  • $40,000 for bodily injury or death to two or more persons per accident
  • $15,000 for damage or destruction to other property in an accident
Penalty for Not Being Insured

All vehicles must be insured in Texas. The penalties for driving uninsured are substantial, starting with a fine between $175 and $350 for a first-time offense. Not a quick learner? The fines skyrocket on the second and that second offense can result in the suspension of your driver license and the impoundment of your vehicle.
It can also kick in a nasty little citation labeled "failure to maintain financial responsibility." This offense is in the category of "surchargeable violations."A surchargeable violation means that you may pay the fine for the ticket―and then pay an additional penalty each year for up to three years. This penalty applies even if you maintain your insurance perfectly from that point on. For more information on this interesting twist in Texas law, read about the Texas point system.
Second or subsequent ticket for no liability insurance. If a person is convicted of a second offense for no-liability insurance, the person is subject to license suspension. Texas Transportation Code 601.231, 37 Texas Administrative Code 25.19

800-456-0211 / PM / Facebook
WHIPPLE Superchargers, Procharger, Magnuson, Powerbond Sale, HPTuners packages!, Trickflow, AFR, PRC, CHE Trunion upgrade, $100 7.400" pushrod set, Custom Cam of your choice

Last edited by Scoggin Dickey; 02-05-2008 at 01:23 PM.
Old 02-05-2008, 01:13 PM
10-Second Club

Chances are, if you aren't here legally, you probably won't care or know to have insurance either....or wear seat belts, or use child safety seats, or drive while not intoxicated, etc., etc.

Don't mistake my comments for racism, I'm all for legal immigration, my g/f is a legal immigrant with a green card. I just hate people that don't obey our laws, especially when they get away with it while we are forced to pay for all the stuff we get caught doing....if a cop pull over an illegal they just turn the other cheek because it's too much of a hassle, where as if it's us, it's just another tax collector collecting more taxes for the city or county.....yet when you go to Mexico, if you get caught, there is no turning the other cheek....just turning your wallet inside out to make sure you are broke & extorted.
Old 02-05-2008, 03:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Since you have the burden of proof, why don't YOU look it up and find out where it says you DON'T have to have it.

My parents and my wife have been in the insurance industry a COMBINED 50 years....trust me.....

20/40/15 is REQUIRED at ALL times.

If you really think you don't, then how did you get your Texas driving license? When you must show proof of insurnace get get your license?

Or register your car, proof is required there as well.
Where the hell have you been living? Texas has required liability for as long as I've been driving & that's going on 20 years.
LOL, guys I am sorry to burst your bubble but your still incorrect. Insurance is not required in texas.

Prove it sir, there is absolutely nothing you can show that does.

You have to have insurance to:
Register a vehicle
Get your license
Renew your license
Get inspection
Get your car out of impound

Where I live, it's a $350 ticket the first offense, and you WILL be arrested 2nd offense period. You, sir, need to check your facts.

Edit: nevermind, I checked for you, here you go.
you dont have to have insurance to do any of those things. maybe you should read the paperwork more carefully when you are doing those things. There is nothing that requires you to have insurance.

as for the section you quoted. you need to go and read the actual laws and post them insted of quoting from DMV.org "the unofficial guide to the DMV"

you want me to prove that somthign does not exist???? there is no law that says "insurance is not required by law"

why dont you show me where it says we are not required to ride elephants to work on sundays.

show me a law that states that you are required by law to have insurance in texas.... IT DOES NOT EXIST.
Old 02-05-2008, 03:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Scoggin Dickey , i forgot to mention that the code you "quoted" is not a direct quote of the code. thats someones interpretation of it.
Old 02-05-2008, 03:17 PM
10-Second Club

I bet you have insurance aggiez28
Old 02-05-2008, 03:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

yes I do. I never said I did not.

It is obvious that the people saying that insurance is required by law have never read the actual laws.

Would anyone be willing to make a wager on this issue?
Old 02-05-2008, 03:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you gotta have insurance to register a vehicle.. buy a new one from someone and go down to your local office you need insurance or go hop in your car and do some donuts infront of a cop and dont hand him a card youll get a ticket to
Old 02-05-2008, 03:25 PM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

You obviously have no idea what you are talking about. I won't sit here and argue with someone who has no regard for the facts. Think what you want, next time you try to do any of those things don't give them your insurance card and try to tell them you don't have to have insurance and they will send you away. Next time you get pulled over, tell the officer you don't have insurance and see what happens. Explain to me what will happen in that situation? You will tell the officer he doesn't know the law and that you don't have to show proof of insurance?
Chapter 601.051 CLEARLY states the required financial responsibility to operate a motor vehicle.

Originally Posted by aggiez28
Scoggin Dickey , i forgot to mention that the code you "quoted" is not a direct quote of the code. thats someones interpretation of it.

WHIPPLE Superchargers, Procharger, Magnuson, Powerbond Sale, HPTuners packages!, Trickflow, AFR, PRC, CHE Trunion upgrade, $100 7.400" pushrod set, Custom Cam of your choice

Last edited by Scoggin Dickey; 02-05-2008 at 03:38 PM.
Old 02-05-2008, 03:25 PM
Staging Lane

If you dont have it just get it even if its just liability and save yourself the trouble
Old 02-05-2008, 03:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

congrats, you found the right link to reference this time. now if you will read it you will see that I am correct.

willing to put a little cash on the line? I doubt you are.
Old 02-05-2008, 03:43 PM
10-Second Club

Yeah, the law states that you have to have proof of financial responsibility. If you have a certain amount of money you can basically 'insure yourself'. But you still have to have that proof. Now, how many people that have lots of money insure themselves? I don't know anyone that does, even though I only know a few people that can afford to do so....they still use insurance.
Old 02-05-2008, 03:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Chapter 601.051 CLEARLY states the required financial responsibility to operate a motor vehicle.
thats even the correct section........ why dont you copy and paste it here and prove that I am correct.

section 601.053 would also be a good one to copy/paste here.
Old 02-05-2008, 03:51 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 47 Likes on 19 Posts

Brook (aggie) just likes to make friends.

It is a play on words. You are not required to have "insurance" but you are required to have "coverage". Meaning, you can get an insurance policy or you can put up $75K cash in a bond with the TX DPS and show proof of that bond. It is basically the same as buying your own insurance policy, since you can't touch the cash in that bond unless you quit driving. Most people would rather pay a small monthly note than to tie up that much cash with the DPS and trust that they will manage it properly.
Old 02-05-2008, 03:54 PM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Originally Posted by Nine Ball

It is a play on words. You are not required to have "insurance" but you are required to have "coverage". Meaning, you can get an insurance policy or you can put up $75K cash in a bond with the TX DPS and show proof of that bond. It is basically the same as buying your own insurance policy, since you can't touch the cash in that bond unless you quit driving. Most people would rather pay a small monthly note than to tie up that much cash with the DPS and trust that they will manage it properly.
Which is insuring your financial responsibility. You don't have to "buy insurance from an insurance company" But you have to pay a certain amount as a bond etc, which is still insurance. Play on words all he wants, it's still insurance and you have to have it.

Old 02-05-2008, 03:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nine Ball

lol, you were saying insurance was required 5 min ago.

I just wanted to see how far these people were going to take this arguement. I dont usually argue things like this unless I know I am right.

If you go to the link that Scoggin Dickey provided and read the section 601.051 and the sections it references to it is pretty clear that insurance is not required by law. financial responsibility is required by law and an insurance policy is one means of financial responsibility.
Old 02-05-2008, 03:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

well I didnt find anything about insurance on the site, Im actually surprised, but riddle me this, if you dont have proof of insurance, or dont have any insurance, then why are you ticketed and then once you show the court that you did in fact have insurance during the time you were pulled over they throw the ticket out. If you didnt have insurance you get that nice 350 fine and I believe points on your record
Old 02-05-2008, 03:59 PM
12 Second Club

Whats really funny is all this arguing, to find out that you do need insurance...
A bond with 75K in it seems like insurance to me...

But if anyone seen the news the other night, they are about to pass the law that
if you get pulled over here in this state without insurance..
guess what, you will be walking home.. LOL

They did that in New Mexico a few years ago, and I have alot of brothers I was giving rides to quite often.. LOL

also the whole registering your vehicle deal..
will they accept the bond there, or will they **** with you and say you cant register without proof of insurance....
Old 02-05-2008, 04:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

ok I just read above-thanks ( i was researching before I posted so it took a while)