Quick Title Question...

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 07:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick Title Question...

I just purchased a car how ever the person i purchased it from signed the title (on the back) but then went to the DPS office and couldnt afford the taxas on the car so it never got switched over to their name.

Now is there a form or something i can fill out to get this car titled in my name?
Old 04-09-2008, 07:28 PM
Teching In

I don't think they can sell you a car that's not in their name. Not positive, but pretty sure.
Old 04-09-2008, 07:32 PM
TECH Regular

This will not turn out well...Did they sign it as the buyer? or seller?
Old 04-09-2008, 07:34 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You would need a statement of fact from the name that is listed as the owner on the title stating that they are selling the car to you.

Most people are not willing to in fear that you are trying to pull something shady.

Good luck
Old 04-09-2008, 07:40 PM
Teching In

Did you get a bill of sale? Or receipt?
Old 04-09-2008, 07:47 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by CruzinCobalt
I just purchased a car how ever the person i purchased it from signed the title (on the back) but then went to the DPS office and couldnt afford the taxas on the car so it never got switched over to their name.

Now is there a form or something i can fill out to get this car titled in my name?
On the front the owners name is typed on the title. You need to contact this person and get them to file for a lost title, when they get a new title have them sign it over to you.

Or you and the guy who signed the title needs to go to the dps and you pay the taxes to get the title put in his name, then wait for him to get the title and sign it over to you and lucky you gets to pay the taxes again when you take it back to the dps to have it put in your name.
Old 04-09-2008, 07:50 PM

the person i purchased it from signed it as the buyer. And the original owners signature is in the front, i also have a filled out "Application for texas certificate of title"
Old 04-09-2008, 10:12 PM

???????
Old 04-10-2008, 04:07 AM
Banned

YOU cannot do anything with it, it's signed with everyones name except yours.
They are not going to issue you a title in your name if someone else signed as buyer.
YOU go to the DPS and YOU ask them. They are going to tell you what you need to do, everyone here is going to tell you what they THINK you need to do.
Old 04-10-2008, 07:33 AM
FormerVendor

I was in the same boat not too long ago. DPS will not let you transfer a car in your name if the seller doesn't have the title in his name. This is done exactly so they can tax every change of hands of the car. As stated above, you have 2 options:
- track down the guy whose name is in the title (original owner) and work with him to make it look like he sold the car directly to you
- have the guy who sold you the car get a title in his name first (which requires paying the taxes) and then signing it over to you.