Crazy Night

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2008 | 12:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Crazy Night

So tonight I got in my car as was pooring rain. I pulled out onto a main road that is notoriously known for being slick. It was raining so hard that there was not enough time for the water to drain, and the water was just building up. I was in 5th gear and started accelerating and I ccould feel the back end coming out so I turned the front wheel to correct the oversteer, but nothing was happening. I tapped the brake to put some weight on the front tires.. but still nothing. I gave it a little gas to try and see if I can power out. This whole time it was slowly coming around and steering the car towards woods that line the side of the street. I realised that I was not going to save this, so I ripped the wheel into the turn. I was spinning and felt the car go over the curb, and I looked out the passenger window and saw a telephone pole no more than a foot from the door. There were trees everywhere, and I can remember saying out loud, "this is going to hurt." But somehow I managed to miss the trees and pole. I came to a stop and opened up the door. The suspension in the back was so extended that I thought the rear end was disconnected. The front wheel was pushed all the way into the fender. The grass was so high I couldnt look under the car too well, nor could I completely examine the car.

Two hours passed by until the tow truck came. It was a busy night for them. All the people stopping and making sure I was ok restored my faith in humanity. One lady stopped and asked if I had been drinking. I told her no. She asked, "are you sure, because if you have been we need to get you out of here, and I can give you a ride home." I passed.

When the tow truck pulled my car out of the woods I was amazed. I expected a ton of damage to my suspension, and steering. The only thing that was messed up were the tie rods being bent to hell, and a few scratches in the paint. My wheels were dinged up, but I want new ones anyways.

Sorry for the novel, but I am still kind of excited. I am just glad I am ok, and I didnt take any other cars out. It was definately a wake up call and I will have to be alot more careful in the future. I hate driving my car in the rain, because it has zero traction... need to get a beater.
Old 06-13-2008 | 12:07 AM
9 Second Club

I know what you mean... i HATE driving my car in the rain. RWD cars+slick roads= no good

Glad you're ok though.
Old 06-13-2008 | 12:09 AM
On The Tree

haha dam man good save. at least you knnow things could have been a lot worse but thankfully everything is alright. i had a similar experience and luckily no one was out on the road at that time. really wakes you the hell up. now when it rains, i dont exceed 20. haha a lot of pissed off drivers behind me.
Old 06-13-2008 | 12:09 AM
TECH Addict

glad everthings ok for the most part!!

I put mine in the ditch several months back in the rain to, came through a turn apparently to fast for big tires and my suspension set up. back end came out so i goosed it to correct it then i hit the only deep puddle and broke front tires free, whipped a 360 and went straight into the ditch. i actually managed to drive it out, i don't know how the hell i did, but i did it. no damage, just some minor adjustments to exhaust when it hit the ground lol.
Old 06-13-2008 | 12:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1meantransam
glad everthings ok for the most part!!

I put mine in the ditch several months back in the rain to, came through a turn apparently to fast for big tires and my suspension set up. back end came out so i goosed it to correct it then i hit the only deep puddle and broke front tires free, whipped a 360 and went straight into the ditch. i actually managed to drive it out, i don't know how the hell i did, but i did it. no damage, just some minor adjustments to exhaust when it hit the ground lol.
Thats crazy.. Sounds similar to my experience, only my car came out with a minor problem, and some scratches. I have true duals too, and I knew they were going to be haggard... but I looked under the car, and those ******* were still on. I couldnt believe it.

If anything my car will be coming out better than started. Since there are scratches in the paint, hopefully I can come out with a check from the insurance company to take care of them, and get a few dings taken care of while they are at it.
Old 06-13-2008 | 07:16 AM
Launching!

Glad to hear you had the best outcome (for everything considered), Def post some pics when you get it finished and back up w/ the new wheels.
Old 06-13-2008 | 07:40 AM
TECH Addict

Thats funny that the lady was like we need to get you out of here. I am glad you are ok and the car is hurt too bad. Like you said, it could have been worse.
Old 06-13-2008 | 08:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

What rd was this??
Old 06-13-2008 | 10:11 AM
Staging Lane

They aren't to bad in the rain if you have traction control and the stock tires. I used to drive my M6 Z28 at 70-80 in the rain when it was bone stock and it felt fine... then I added power and put low profile 315 tires on some wide *** wheels and it was a nightmare.(I coulda cracked walnuts with my butt cheeks a few times) You don't realize how much these cars change from stock until you go back and drive a stock one again, there actually pretty drivable... but not near as fun on dry sunny days
Old 06-13-2008 | 10:51 AM
TECH Addict

yeah i have the duals to, ripped them off a couple weeks ago idling over a speed bump. but you better believe if i'm ripping 360s and flying into a ditch they will stay on.
Old 06-13-2008 | 11:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LawHorn
What rd was this??
Red Bluff coming from 146 towards Bay Area. It was right after the taylor lake bridge where it goes into 3 lanes, and the water builds up on the road.
Old 06-13-2008 | 01:55 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Juicy J
Red Bluff coming from 146 towards Bay Area. It was right after the taylor lake bridge where it goes into 3 lanes, and the water builds up on the road.
Wow that road is notorious for putting people in the ditch. A lot of people have died there too.
Old 06-13-2008 | 02:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

I used to drive that road everyday going to work.......and you had better believe I was doing like 30 when it rained. I remember one day It was pouring and the water was real bad I had a F*ing bike pass me up, like a criuser bike (goldwing or something like that).......just booking it. I for sure thought I was about to see this guy slip and slide on the concrete. Nope just took the puddles like he was in a jacked up truck, didnt wabble or anything. I was in aw.

**** that road in the rain tho, its more slippery that 2 flat chested girls in a baby oil wrestling match........
Old 06-13-2008 | 03:20 PM
LS7 Member

I was going to work one morning in Highschool on that road and it had rained the day before but the roads were dry so I was hauling. Sure enough right before Kirby coming from bay area there was water running across the road coming out of the field / nature center. Car got a little squirly but it I was fine. Sure woke me up though. Everything else was dry except that one little patch. I know several people who have gone into the ditch at the winding part right before fairmont.
Old 06-13-2008 | 03:26 PM
On The Tree

glad to hear your alright man. did you ever get the situation with your grill fixed?
Old 06-13-2008 | 04:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nassty00
glad to hear your alright man. did you ever get the situation with your grill fixed?
Yep... You just had to bend it to fit. Looks good tho in my opinion...

How ya been? You got that magic stick in the car?
Old 06-13-2008 | 04:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Slash8915
I know what you mean... i HATE driving my car in the rain. RWD cars+slick roads= no good

Glad you're ok though.
I doubt all RWD cars are like this. F-bodies are especially notorious for having bad traction on wet pavement.

Unsophisticated suspension geometry maybe?

Glad you're okay though.
Old 06-14-2008 | 02:38 PM
On The Tree

thats good. i've been aight. nah i havent installed it yet. got the stall in, need a tune though.

we need to meet up man. maybe sometime next week. busy this weekend