Float'n the river (Guadalupe)

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 05:10 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Float'n the river (Guadalupe)

A buddy and I are heading south this weekend to float the river and Im wondering if anyone here has been.

I need to know a few things that I havnt been able to find online.

What are the size restrictions on taking a cooler with you?

I know you can only bring cans... how many can we bring?

Any other tips or things i need to know or be aware of?

Thanks, Josh.
Old 07-24-2008, 05:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

dude...its a blast. you can't have a seperate tube for your cooler anymore from what i recall. i don't think theres really a limit as long as you can manage what you take in your own tube.

make sure you are careful if there are any underage folks with you cause TABC has been a bitch this year.

right now the river is moving REALLY slow due to lack of rain (dont rem the exact flow rate but its less than half of ideal flow from what i've been told). if you are like me it shouldn't matter...just drink a few cold ones and take in all the "scenery" (hunnies) and bs with buddies and you'll have a great time. im jealous...have a cold one for me too bro.

-Karl
Old 07-24-2008, 05:22 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LS1Aggie09
dude...its a blast. you can't have a seperate tube for your cooler anymore from what i recall. i don't think theres really a limit as long as you can manage what you take in your own tube.

make sure you are careful if there are any underage folks with you cause TABC has been a bitch this year.

right now the river is moving REALLY slow due to lack of rain (dont rem the exact flow rate but its less than half of ideal flow from what i've been told). if you are like me it shouldn't matter...just drink a few cold ones and take in all the "scenery" (hunnies) and bs with buddies and you'll have a great time. im jealous...have a cold one for me too bro.

-Karl
I've gotten almost 4 inches in the last 24 hrs. its gonna be moving a bit quicker or so i would think.
Old 07-24-2008, 05:38 PM
On The Tree

Lock all your personal belongings in a safe place. Brother in law had keys and wallet stolen a few weeks ago and they were hidden fairly well. The MFers stole his sandwiches too.
Old 07-24-2008, 06:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.nbtexas.org/index.asp?NID=198
Old 07-24-2008, 06:53 PM
Launching!

I think the coolers cant be bigger than 16 quarts, but thats only in city limits. its been raining here all day, so hopefully that makes it a bit faster than it was, god knows we needed the rain.
Old 07-24-2008, 07:44 PM
Teching In

I went to the guadalupe last weekend, rented a cooler from the same place I rented the tube from. They also gave me an extra tube to put the cooler in. We had a group of 15ish people and I was one of the youngest at 25, most of us were drinking but nobody got out of control and the cops never messed with us once. I did have my ID on me just in case. Pretty sure if you don't act like a dumb *** you shouldn't have any problems. Be sure to have a DD. Have fun.
Old 07-24-2008, 08:57 PM
Teching In

ive been 4 times and goin back on the 15th, i love it.. the guadalulpe for the most part of it does not have many restrictions, its once u pass into city limits where u get restrictions.. the 16 quart rule is for city limits and all of the comal.. u CAN have a seperate tube with ur cooler in it. heres a great site

http://www.riversportstubes.com/Guad...iver_Rules.htm
Old 07-24-2008, 09:26 PM
Launching!

Appriciate all the replies! And thanks for the sites, very imformative.

How much cash do I need to bring along?

Shoes optional? sandals?

Ive got an old car stereo, a lawnmower battery, and one 6x9 speaker that I mounted in the lid of my cooler and sealed with plexyglass and RTV. Will I get bugged about noise violations? The radio is in a heavy plastic bag at the bottom of the cooler compleatly sealed off with an old ***** Nelson caset tape set to play/ and flip. So all I have to do it hook up the power wire. Hopefully its water proof!

Thanks again! Josh.
Old 07-24-2008, 11:22 PM
Teching In

a tube rental will be under 20$ and thats just about the only thing you HAVE to pay for at the river. Bring everything else from home, its obviously going to be cheaper.
I tied my sandals to the tube and never untied them till I got out of the river. I only got out of my tube once on the river, there was a low spot and I got hung up and had to walk 10 or 15 feet. But you might not have any problems with the rain they got according to Sarge.
Not sure about noise violations, i didnt hear anyone else with radios.... One guy had an accoustical guitar.
Old 07-25-2008, 06:14 AM
Teching In

there are no restrictions on the guadalupe as far as radios.. on the comal however it cant be heard more then 50ft away. i always wear sandals and put them in one of those lil mess draw string back packs... and put all your keys licenses etc with someone you trust to hold on to it the whole way down, it can get rough! money for beer, tubes are about 15-20 dollars but usually you get about 40% of that back. and a nice water proof camera is always good for memories!
Old 07-25-2008, 09:19 AM
Teching In

Here is mine I made a few years ago...now have it setup to hook up to my I-pod also...you will not have any problems w/ noise untill you get into gruene,tx....same w/ the cooler size.
What campsite if any are you staying in? Look at putting in w Lazy L&L, all of their floats / pick up point end before you get to gruene...

Old 07-25-2008, 01:05 PM

Default tubing

Hi,

We are located on the Guadalupe River outside the city limits and rent tubes. Outside the city limits of New Braunfels, there are only 2 restrictions: no styrofoam and no glass. Other than that there are no restrictions on cooler size or the amount of beer. We rent cooler tubes and ice chests for you to take your drinks down the river. Now remember there is a part of the Guadalupe River that is in the city limits and there are restrictions on that part and on the Comal River. None of our river trips are in the city limits. We are located in Canyon Lake and are about 12 miles outside of New Braunfels.
Please visit our website at www.shantytubes.com to learn more about our location and the rules and regulations. We also have discount coupons.

Thanks,

Shanty Tubes
Old 07-25-2008, 02:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Going to the Comal this weekend I do believe.
Old 07-25-2008, 02:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just got back from the Guadalupe & didn't have to walk at all. So with Dolly bringing that rain through should be up and moving nicely. You might want to buy beer down here as they do not sell dirty's up there..only 18 packs and they raise the price a few dollars as well lol.