Advice on buying a motorcycle

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 09:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not a sport cruiser, but a Harley none the less, looks alot different now, but have not had time to shine her up and snap pics....

Old 07-29-2008, 01:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
nah. Trump:
I've always liked the V-rod...but...when your sitting on it it feels like your on a mini bike compared to the Warrior. It does not have the torque a pushrod V-twin has. I'm at 122ftlbs with bolt ons and slightly better compression. Still can run regular gas with zero prob. The sound of a Warrior (or any big CC V-star engine) with a good quality pipe is better than any V-rod. Plus with aluminum frame, R1 brakes, etc. it handles better than any sport cruiser on the market...

I'll let ya take the Warrior around the block, you'll be selling that "porsche" built Hardley...
Old 07-29-2008, 01:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Victory makes great motorcycles too, american made too if u dont want a Harley. I hear alot great things about them and they use current tech on there bikes http://www.polarisindustries.com/en-...ages/Home.aspx
Come with great power from the factory too, have some friends that ride them.
or triumph makes a great cruiser too http://www.triumph.co.uk/uk/motorcycles.aspx
Or Ducati makes a great Standard with there Monster 696 or even there classic style cafe racers http://www.ducati.com/od/ducatinorth...tml?family=841 Like driving a Ferrari on 2 wheels

But in the end get what U or your Wife wants.....who gives a "F" what a Harley owner thinks when u pull up next to one, I sure dont
Old 07-29-2008, 02:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

1st of all.

Has your wife ever ridden a motorcycle?
Has she taken the MSF course?

These are very important. One mistake that people make is that they buy too much bike when they've never ridden before. They usually end up having an accident because of it. Don't let anyone talk you/her into a bike that's too big for her. A 500-600 would be a nice 1st bike for her to learn and get comfortable on. Sign her up for the MSF course if she hasn't ever taken it or ridden before.

You're going to find Harley nuthuggers everywhere so don't let them discourage you from an import cruiser as there's nothing wrong with one. Nothing against Harley but IMO, there are better choices out there for the money. I've been in the bike market and I've completely talked myself out of a Harley at this point. I don't want to spend the money that Harley will cost for my 1st bike so I'm looking to the imports as they are a better value and more reliable.

If you buy a used import, you won't lose much money on it if you keep it a year and then sell it. The market is pretty good on motorcycles right now with the gas the way it is.
Old 07-29-2008, 02:11 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by DJ's Z
I've always liked the V-rod...but...when your sitting on it it feels like your on a mini bike compared to the Warrior. It does not have the torque a pushrod V-twin has. I'm at 122ftlbs with bolt ons and slightly better compression. Still can run regular gas with zero prob. The sound of a Warrior (or any big CC V-star engine) with a good quality pipe is better than any V-rod. Plus with aluminum frame, R1 brakes, etc. it handles better than any sport cruiser on the market...

I'll let ya take the Warrior around the block, you'll be selling that "porsche" built Hardley...
The V-rod runs high 11s stock. It makes plenty of torque. Honestly, it feels a lot like my previous Fat Boy felt down low, but it sings at high rpm where the Fat Boy fell on its face. Also, you should hear this bike with the CFR exhaust on it, it sounds wicked. Brembo brakes aren't exactly horrible either, lol.
Old 07-29-2008, 04:00 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Morpheus
1st of all.

Has your wife ever ridden a motorcycle?
Has she taken the MSF course?
She started riding at age 14. She has short legs and she is very adimate about the weight and seat height she wants. Her last bike was an Intruder 800, though she sold it when she moved to Houston 4 years ago. She hasn't ridden since then and is taking the MSF course next month before getting her license. I'm not concerned about her being a safe rider; I am concerned about all the unsafe drivers on the road.
Old 07-29-2008, 04:22 PM
On The Tree

Cold starts are your friend, Feel the block before you start it.

Cold starts will tell you alot about the bike.
Old 07-29-2008, 04:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SilverSierra
She started riding at age 14. She has short legs and she is very adimate about the weight and seat height she wants. Her last bike was an Intruder 800, though she sold it when she moved to Houston 4 years ago. She hasn't ridden since then and is taking the MSF course next month before getting her license. I'm not concerned about her being a safe rider; I am concerned about all the unsafe drivers on the road.

What about a Honda Shadow 750? Those are nice bikes and you can get them cheap.
Old 07-29-2008, 05:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
The V-rod runs high 11s stock. It makes plenty of torque. Honestly, it feels a lot like my previous Fat Boy felt down low, but it sings at high rpm where the Fat Boy fell on its face. Also, you should hear this bike with the CFR exhaust on it, it sounds wicked. Brembo brakes aren't exactly horrible either, lol.
I admit they run/brake great in a straight line but once you hit the twisties (aggressively) it's over in a big way...cool bike no doubt and almost bought one last year but after comparing the two I couldn't justify doing it. Oh yeah forgot about the comfort level. No comparison...

I've raced several V-rods. I'm out on them till around 100-110 then they will come around. My Warrior is done at 135ish. Thats what I've got my FJR for...

I'll give you a shout next time we're out heading toward 149...sorry for the Hijack OP.
Old 07-29-2008, 05:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

X2...GREAT 1st bike...!!
Old 07-29-2008, 08:44 PM
TECH Resident

Its on her list