Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Torpedo Heaters?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 05:53 PM
TECH Resident

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a propane... its OK since it heats.... but dont spray brake clean.... chlorinated solvent goes to ground and gets burned by heater and fumes are horrific.

Im in the process of getting a gas mobile home heater, vent it out the gable vent and instant heat.
Old 01-27-2009, 08:13 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MetallicaMatt
Who uses them?

I want to put one in my 2 car garage, but I'm worried about fumes...

also, theres not a lot of room with all of the sh*t in there, so I don't want to catch anything on fire, since they throw out a lot of heat, but mainly in 1 direction.

Recommend anything else? There is a wall mounted heater in there, connected to the gas in the house (but it faces the wrong way lol)
The best is to use a natural gas heater setup. The fumes from a propane or kerosene could kill people in the house after long exposure's.
Old 01-27-2009, 11:10 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I have a propane type space heater, it does stink after it's been running in the garage for a couple hours. I have louver vents in the top portion of the walls at both ends so there's some airflow all the time, and it still smells.

It does beat working in the garage when it's 10 degrees out, only bad part is the tools are always still 10 degrees, and so is the car even though the air's warmed up.

A space heater is alot better option, something that's got an exhaust vent that you can put outside. Lots of people these days upgrading them to mroe effecient ones, so you can find a used one cheap, hang it in the corner, and get in touch with your local propane company and get them to hook it up for ya to a big bottle that you can have put on a small slab outside. I've looked into alot of options, that was once of the cheapest ways to go about it.

Other way was a small wood stove and a metal chimmney out the wall, but the thought of having a stove burning in the same 24x24 area as a bunch of nitrous and a 55 gallon drum of fuel, and 50 grand worth of race car still doesn't sit too well with me.
Old 01-27-2009, 01:01 PM
yak
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

i got a 70,000 btu kero heater. heats the garage from 30* to 75* in an hour and a half with the window open. when the window's open the fumes aren't bad at all. It's nice working in the garage in january in shorts and tee shirt when it's 10* outside. My dad's a chemical engineer and is usually a fume ****, I got yelled at all the time when my car was cam only with no cats because it smelt 'too bad' he came into the garage once when I had the kero heater going for a couple hours and was like, "well it smells, but its less than I had thought it would"
Old 01-27-2009, 09:08 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
The best is to use a natural gas heater setup. The fumes from a propane or kerosene could kill people in the house after long exposure's.
Thats a crazy *** statement. natural gas can and will kill if not vented properly.

Silent killer
Old 02-06-2009, 08:57 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use a propane heater and it is fine.

I also put the CO2 detector in the garage (normally in the upstairs of the house) when using it to make sure I don't kill myself. The readings on the detector have gotten quite high. I just vent the garage every now and then to let fresh air in.

If you don't have a CO2 detector - get one they are very cheap insurance.
Old 02-06-2009, 09:09 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 2 1/2 car garage and only one torpedo heater. Readdy Heater Pro 115 it is a 115,000 btu heater. It runs on kerosene. Some gas stations around here have where you can pump it. It has like a 8 gallon tank. It last a way long time. Longer than 8 hours. It has adjuster ***** on the bac k to filter fumes and other ***** to turn up and down the heat. The room will get hot before the fumes will get to you any ways. Hope that helps

Quick Reply: Torpedo Heaters?