Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Kobalt Compressor?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 07:09 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Kobalt Compressor?

http://www.lowes.com/pd_221495-14989...r%20compressor

Instead of Dewalt cordless impact wrench I am thinking of getting this air compressor with impact wrench and a good HVLP paint gun. I see it has an aluminum head, cast iron would be better. I have $475 gift card at Lowes and could pick this up. Would this be big enough to paint a car with HVLP paint gun? Anyone have one of these?
Old 02-11-2010, 08:15 PM
TECH Addict

Youre going to have to stop here and there for the compressor to catch up. I have a 60 gallon and I get almost a full coat on before needing it to recharge. Its also only 1.5 hp so itll take a little bit...
Old 02-16-2010, 08:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not all HVLP guns are created equal WRT to air consumption, but I don't think that will keep up with anything but an HVLP touchup gun. If you want to stay with something smaller you may want to look into some of the newer LVLP guns (I haven't looked at them for a year or 2, at least that's what they were calling them back then, basically low pressure at the paint cap and not as much airflow necessary to maintain it), or for that matter a conventional gun works if you're not doing production work, that might be a better match.
Old 02-18-2010, 02:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

i got that same compressor if you use a air rachet the compressor be on the whole time
Old 03-03-2010, 08:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I work for Harbor Freight tools and I give compressor advice all the time. First thing, unless you need something like 200 psi, then throw that figure out the window. Pretty much all compressors are going to make the PSI that you need... and it drives me crazy when people ask me if compressor x will run their die grinder... "but it makes 115 psi?"...

The only spec you need to be concerned with is CFM. 14 CFM @ ~90psi would make a good compressor. You'll be happy with something that size. I'd bet that the CFM of the Kobalt compressor isn't much. 5cfm at 90psi would most likely cause some headaches because you'd be waiting on the compressor to fill the tank back up... and that's what the 2 and 3 hp compressors make at HF.

Think of it like how long it takes for a ZR1 to do 0-60, vs an old school VW bug. Yes, they'll both do 60 mph, but one gets there a LOT quicker than the other. If your compressor makes air faster than you can use it then the sky will always be blue in your world.

Hope that helps. There are some better and cheaper options available out there which *caugh* happen to be made in the Kobalt factory *caugh*...

Quick Reply: Kobalt Compressor?