Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Need advice for a jack and jack stands

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 12:48 PM
SSU, come over and relax

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need advice for a jack and jack stands

Like the title says, I am looking to get a jack and some jack stands. I don't plan on using them much, just for things like changing my oil and other maintenance items but I don't want to cheap out and regret my decision later on. Normally I would just go to sears and buy a craftsman one but I figure I might as well get some advice from others who probably have plenty of experience.
Old 09-19-2010, 01:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My Craftsman died on me not long ago. The u joint linkage thing snapped. My roommate said he was jacking his Formula up and all of a sudden it wouldn't pump and then snap! People ragged on the low profile jacks from them for awhile, but mine lasted about 3 or 4 years before breaking. Still inconvenient though, not sure if its repairable or not.
Old 09-19-2010, 01:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I use rhino ramps for my oil changes, just drive up...no jack needed
Old 09-19-2010, 01:20 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

If you get the Rhino ramps make sure to get the Silver ones . They have a higher
load rating than the black ones . I have personally seen a black set of Rhino ramps
collapse under the weight of an LT1 4th Gen . Scary **** IMO . Always get the highest
rating jacks/ramps you can for safety reasons !
Old 09-19-2010, 01:28 PM
SSU, come over and relax

Yeah no ramps for me, I get uneasy enough with a jack and jack stands under the car
Old 09-19-2010, 01:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You could go jack, jack stands, ramps, and blocks for maximum safety.
Old 09-19-2010, 01:46 PM
Staging Lane

What sucks is they dont make things like they used to. One of the jacks I use is my dads and its pretty damn old but better then anything you can buy today. I even use a jack that my dad got from HIS dad. Even the new jackstands i wouldnt trust. Thats why i insist on just using my dads old *** jack stands too. My brother has one of those "big red" low pro jacks and it seems alright. I use it on my moms Dodge Magnum because of the obvious lack of clearance and it seems to hold its own. Now stands, well your just gunna have to try some
Old 09-19-2010, 02:16 PM
LSX Mechanic

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Northern Tool or Harbor Freight (if you have one near you). You can get lifting equipment for 1/4 of the cost, and most of their stuff comes with a lifetime warranty.

I've got probably 3-4 sets of jack stands from HF, and 2 "low profile" jacks that I've abused over the years and never had a problem. The only jack I've ever had crap out on me was my Craftsman.

BTW, this is being moved to the tool section.
Old 09-19-2010, 02:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just build you an oil change pit for no worries.
Old 09-19-2010, 02:36 PM
SSU, come over and relax

Originally Posted by Damian
Northern Tool or Harbor Freight (if you have one near you). You can get lifting equipment for 1/4 of the cost, and most of their stuff comes with a lifetime warranty.

I've got probably 3-4 sets of jack stands from HF, and 2 "low profile" jacks that I've abused over the years and never had a problem. The only jack I've ever had crap out on me was my Craftsman.

Well how about that, there is a tools section

I forgot about Northern Tool, I have one of those near me. Thanks for the advice, I shall see what they have in stock.
Old 09-19-2010, 04:48 PM
Staging Lane

Holy crap; After years of lurking this forum i had no idea you had a tools section. I cant believe ive never seen that before... I feel like a noob.
Old 09-19-2010, 07:38 PM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Damian

I agree i use the hell out of my HF jack and it still works great.
Old 09-19-2010, 08:16 PM
TECH Regular

I have a 3 ton Checker Auto jack and have used the crap out of it. Good stuff.
Old 09-19-2010, 10:15 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I went a little higher end - I have an AC Hydraulics DK13HLQ for a jack, and just got some ESCO stands a few months ago that I'm really liking - they have flat tops with rubber pads to keep underbody damage to an absolute minimum (they also make a curved saddle if you intend to put them under an axle). They sit on round pads that should help keep garage floor damage to a minimum - I haven't used them with my new epoxy floor, but I'm hoping they won't leave any marks.
Old 09-19-2010, 10:49 PM
TECH Junkie

After hearing the Northern/Harbor Freight jacks can take some abuse I think I'm gonna get one of those. I won't even try to fix my Craftsman.

Rhino ramps, I had a black set. Damn rubber pads fell right off them. I had to go to eight different places in my town til I found a set of metal ramps. I feel metal is the way to go with ramps.
Old 09-20-2010, 01:54 AM
Launching!

Don't buy a Crapsman. Be smart Go to harbor freight.
Old 09-20-2010, 03:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I hope HF changed the design on their floor jacks. A few years ago they had a big problem with their pedestals slipping out becasue they didnt sit flush on the jack. If the jacking area wasnt flat, the pedestal would slip out, they were very unsafe. I bought a jack from Sams years ago & it still works ok. Also got a Performance Tool quick lift jack, which I love the quick jack feature but the damn thing leaks down. Lincoln makes good stuff but pricey. I got 2 sets of stands, HF 6 ton & some short Snap On stands, both great stands too.
Old 09-20-2010, 10:32 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

For a good jack stand, I like my Alltrade 3 Ton 'All in One' stands. They have a built-in bottle jack and multi position safety stops. I got mine at Pep Boys about 1½ years ago for $39 each. I also use a set of Northern Tools 6 Ton stands.

Mike
Attached Thumbnails Need advice for a jack and jack stands-all-one-jack-stand.jpg   Need advice for a jack and jack stands-img_0033-medium-.jpg  
Old 09-21-2010, 12:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

^ No way that's fitting under an F-Body.

I've got a pair of Craftsman jacks that I've had for at least 7 years with zero problems. I've never even had to add fluid to them, all I've done was grease them once a year.

They worked great until I lowered the car and they sit about 1/4" to 1/2" too high. I might look into a HF low clearance if they make one...
Old 09-21-2010, 09:41 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jimbo98z
^ No way that's fitting under an F-Body...
Jimbo, would you believe it's for this?

Mike
Attached Thumbnails Need advice for a jack and jack stands-1-good_guys_mw_nat-s_-09_084-large-.jpg  

Quick Reply: Need advice for a jack and jack stands