Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

TIG, water cooled or not?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 08:54 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000_SS
If you weld aluminum very much, the dry rig will get hot.....probably not burning-your-hand hot, but hot compared to the wet rig which won't hardly warm up at all.
X2
Just doing my intercooler piping with my Miller Sycro 200 it gets HOT. Tubing isnt so bad because they are only short runs. I did a couple intercoolers before and it gets too hot to hold. Just have to slow down and take breaks.

I think whenever my torch lead wears out and I have to buy another, im probably going to get a cooler.
Old 01-09-2012, 09:45 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well worth it...i just bought a coolmate 1 for my dynasty. i already had a new water cooled torch that came with tha machine....it was a night and day difference. i mean, i already knew what to expect since i weld for a living, but it was a real nice change for the home/hobby welding application.

Keep you eyes on ebay for good deal. also, consider making your own cooler using a ProCon pump/motor, also found cheap on ebay. use an old heater core for a heat exchanger and make a coolant tank from a turkey pan or whatever you can engineer.
Old 01-27-2012, 01:13 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have used both and I definitely like the water cooled torches better. You don't need a radiator and fan for a cooler. I just use a tank that holds about 15 gallons of water and even with steady welding all day the water never gets warm. The procon pumps are available on ebay for around $50 dollars so making a cooler an be pretty inexpensive.

Quick Reply: TIG, water cooled or not?