Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Stickyworthy Tool storage summary

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2004 | 11:32 PM
On The Tree

Default Stickyworthy Tool storage summary

Lets develop a stickyworthy summary from the tool box thread. Like, a quick chart that sums up price range, realistic capacities, and life expectancy.

I can, I think, sum up the extremes:

$20 -- hand toolbox that fits a socket set and a few wrenches. Good for your trunk. 12 to 16 inch. Light / plastic.

$100 -- cheap (i.e. Wal Mart Stanley, low end Craftsman) roller cart with door, top chest. Compound slides (non-roller bearing). Good for the average home gearhead who turns wrenches on weekends. Fits a decent socket set, a fair amount of wrenches, a bunch of misc tools, and a dremel. 26 inch. Medium weight, but manageable.

-----------------------
$300 - $500 Not sure what to include in the middle -- Craftsman rollers / chests? Roller bearings. 26-41 inch. Getting heavier.

$400 - 600: Home Depot Husky

$600 - $1200: Again, not sure what goes here.The Costco / TNT / Steel Tek / U.S. General / Hammerhead 41 inch models. Woudln't want to move.
----------------

$2500 - 6000 + -- Snap On, Matco, Mac boxes that hold everything you could hope to own. Lasts a lifetime. Includes top-of-the-line castors that you'll need to move the 1,000 lbs.

I think I'm ready for the middle step, so I'm hoping to fill in the gaps and create a good resource in the process.

Quick Reply: Stickyworthy Tool storage summary