Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Is something wrong with my air ratchet?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2004, 10:49 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is something wrong with my air ratchet?

I'm new to the air tool world here, I just bought a Coleman 6hp 27 gallon model and it came with a air tool kit..I tried out the the impact wrench and it worked great taking my lug nuts off but when I tried the air ratchet to take a nut off my water pump it just turned taking my hand with it..Isn't this thang supposed to have the same hammer--impact type action as my wrench??..if not , where can I get one that does??

Thanks
Dave
Old 04-25-2004, 11:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Nope. Air ratchets are all torque baby. Knuckle breakers and elbow stretchers

Ingersoll makes a "reactionless" air ratchet that's not supposed to tug like that, but I've never tried it and I've heard it has no power.

I never had a problem with my Snap On air ratchet though, and that thing's 60ft/lbs. more than any Coleman ratchet I'm sure. Just gotta be ready for it, that's all.
Old 04-25-2004, 11:49 AM
Restricted User

The air ratchets dont have as much nut-breaking force as the guns. They are more or less used for spinning nuts off things at under 50 ft-lbs. + or - 10ft-lbs.
At least that has been my experience.
Old 04-26-2004, 01:44 AM
Teching In

From my experience w/air ratchets, there is a right way to use them and a wrong way. The right way to use them is to first crack the nut using the ratcheting action of the wrench w/out using the air. If this doesn't work you will need to use a breaker bar first. Once the nut or bolt is loose then use the air to reverse it out. I have gone thru three ratchets, believe me when I say that using the air w/the ratchet to crack a nut damages the gears. Then you have to buy a new one. I've never had to buy a new impact wrench, those things are heavy duty. Don't forget to oil your tools to prolong tool life too! So if you have space use an impact, be careful though, they can snap a rusted or skinny bolt in half. Just my .02 cents.
Old 04-26-2004, 06:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by marv247808
From my experience w/air ratchets, there is a right way to use them and a wrong way. The right way to use them is to first crack the nut using the ratcheting action of the wrench w/out using the air. If this doesn't work you will need to use a breaker bar first. Once the nut or bolt is loose then use the air to reverse it out. I have gone thru three ratchets, believe me when I say that using the air w/the ratchet to crack a nut damages the gears. Then you have to buy a new one. I've never had to buy a new impact wrench, those things are heavy duty. Don't forget to oil your tools to prolong tool life too! So if you have space use an impact, be careful though, they can snap a rusted or skinny bolt in half. Just my .02 cents.
couldent have said it better my self!! no serriously i couldnt i would probably mispell somthing!!!!
i usualy end up using the air gun with the hammering action to dissassemble every thing except for the stuff that you can only get to with the air ratchet and when i do use it i break the bolt or nut loose first !!!!