Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Miller vs. Hobart

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2004, 07:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Miller vs. Hobart

I'm looking at purchasing either a Millermatic 135 or a Hobart 135 for some basic "around the house" types of projects. I'd like to go for the 175, but I'm looking mainly at exhaust work and such - 1/8" or less - so I think the 135 will work. While it wouldn't be a big deal for me to put a 220V in the garage, I'd like to save the money and not do it if its not necessary. I may be doing some work with stainless though (409 or 304 most likely), would that be a problem with the smaller welder? Because of the price difference, I'd like to go for the Hobart since I'm told they're made by Miller anyway. You guys know of any reason that this is not a good approach?
Old 05-23-2004, 10:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Location: From the Bowels of Hell!!! You want some of me bitch?!?!?!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hobart IS the cheaper line made by Miller. Good units.
Old 05-23-2004, 11:45 PM
TECH Resident

both go down the same line with some different internals... Both work well.
Old 05-24-2004, 12:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

If you got the Miller youd have it IF you ever needed it. The Hobart 145 has worked fine for me on thicker metals. As said Miller owns Hobart and Hobart is the cheaper line. The internals are extremly similiar between the alike powered units.
Old 05-24-2004, 08:14 AM
Teching In

The main difference is that the Miller has infinite wire speed and heat controls where the Hobart has only four heat settings. For an unexperienced person like me, I find the infinite controls very helpful, so I am going with the Millermatic 135. The Hobart uses a plastic feeder unit where the Miller has aluminum. That's not a bad thing, Lincoln uses plastic feeders in all their models. Both the Hobart and Miller are excellent welders. I don't think you can go wrong with either. Hobart is one of the best values out there.

Quick Reply: Miller vs. Hobart