Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Threadlocker doesn't dry after 2 days

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2018, 09:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 98 Likes on 75 Posts

Default Threadlocker doesn't dry after 2 days

Just finished an LQ4 swap, wanted to test blue versus red threadlocker strength. Used red threadlocker on new clean nut/bolt and sat on a workbench for 2 days and it never dried nor tightened the fastener. This is a new bottle, aslo tried a very old tube same thing. It was a little blue bottle, permatex maybe?

What am I missing? Does it have to be under load to "lock"? Or does it only lock like miniscue microns or something and my fastener was loose so locktite was too "thick" or something?

Little concerned this bottle may be flawed and I just used it on several bolts in this swap.

Seawrched the site and found a gazillion threadlocker references but not this question.
Old 08-09-2018, 08:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 98 Likes on 75 Posts

My neighbor filled me in, threadlockers that are anaerbic ahesives are designed this way. Google says this about them: "By definition, anaerobic adhesives remain liquid until isolated from oxygen in the presence of metal ions, such as iron or copper. That is why loctite does not cure when using stainless screws. If the loctite is not curing for you, use Loctite prime and cure. It contains copper that will make the loctite set up. Just spray it on the screw, then apply your loctite."
Old 08-09-2018, 11:23 PM
TECH Resident

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

What's your location? With all the rain and humidity here in pay the last month nothing will dry here.