Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Dasco tools, punches specfically = junk

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2018, 02:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Dasco tools, punches specfically = junk

I wish I would've read reviews online before I bought a set. This is the first time I've bought a made in USA tool that I probably would've been better off buying Chinese. Didn't bother reading online because, you know, made in USA is a sign of quality. Looked it up after using them and they are universally considered garbage.

Using them to push out some bearing races, they're just mushrooming, splitting, deep gashes, and overall, I think each punch will only last for 2-3 races before it's completely shot. The metal is just too soft for a tool that is supposed to get beat on with a hammer.

Who makes some good punches?
Old 10-11-2018, 03:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,025 Likes on 2,356 Posts

Where did you buy them? Will make sure to avoid them! Disappointing that US-made stuff CAN be junk. Hopefully the exception to the rule. Thank you for the heads up!
Old 10-11-2018, 03:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

At Home Depot. I was actually a little excited that a big box store had some USA tools and I didn't have to wait for them to ship from an online store. Dasco has some work to do on learning how to heat treat steel to the appropriate hardness for the task.

I read that they were just bought by Vaughan so maybe in a year or two they'll start putting out better tools. I love supporting US manufacturing and have no problem paying a fair premium but it's got to be made well.
Old 10-13-2018, 11:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

haha im using a dasco pin punch to knock flush finish nails on the window trim in my house. it's already mushroomed out after like 15 nails.
Old 10-14-2018, 12:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I feel like they're going for firearms punches that use brass so as not to scratch the metal. Might be interesting to test on a gun, since they're way cheaper than brass punches.
Old 10-14-2018, 02:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Never even heard of dasco before.
Old 10-28-2018, 02:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Punches
Yes they are garbage, get a set of starret pin punches. I use them daily and they are great, I have had the same set for 10 years.