Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Grease Gun options

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2019, 12:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Default Grease Gun options

Every time I lube one of my cars it's like a greasy bloody horror film LOL...

I have 3 grease guns, 2 manual 1 pneumatic, and they all leak over time, never a simple effort to grease the car, and none seem to "latch" onto the zirc.. always a giant mess and sometimes I can't even get grease into the zerc because the nip keeps popping off when I pump. Looking to remedy both of those problems.

Would love it if there were some aerosol can based grease gun (I know, grease is probably too thick to be delivered that way), but you get the idea of what I'm fishing for.

Anyone have a recipe of grease/gun/hose/whatever you'd recommend for a home mechanic that leaves a loaded grease gun sit for months at a time in a very hot/very cold garage in the North East?

Maybe I am using the wrong grease and heat cycles in the garage are what's making it watery and leak all over the place when the gun sits...?

EDIT: Apparently there are aerosol based solutions, anyone try one like this? This would solve the leaky mess, but according to reviews it still doesn't latch on to zercs very tightly.

Amazon Amazon

Last edited by mk3cn4; 01-01-2019 at 01:11 PM.
Old 01-02-2019, 09:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

I failed miserably at grease guns for a long time until I started wrapping the ends with a towel (or paper towel) and tape. It keeps the grease in the nozzle from drying out. Im using a standard gun i bought at home depot and its been working great even during extended periods of non-use.
Old 01-06-2019, 10:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

usually the end is adjustable so you can get a good bite on the zerk, they also make ones that work kinda like an air hose coupler. you slide the sleeve back, press it on, push the sleeve forward and let er rip

right now my eye is on the milwaukee 2646-20
Old 01-13-2019, 12:29 PM
9 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by truckdoug
usually the end is adjustable so you can get a good bite on the zerk, they also make ones that work kinda like an air hose coupler. you slide the sleeve back, press it on, push the sleeve forward and let er rip

right now my eye is on the milwaukee 2646-20
I'm a heavy equiptment operator and grease daily, 2-3 tubes. I have that milwaukee you posted, but the kit with the case. Its the third electric grease gun I have had and its been the best. I wipe excess grease off the gun and wrap a towel around the tip when it goes back in the case. good practice for any grease gun, keep something wrapping the tip up. Tips also wear out, and some are a lot better then others. https://www.grainger.com/product/LIN...-Coupler-6Y904 thats the tip I normally use. snaps on nicely and stays locked on.
Old 01-13-2019, 12:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

My tip never wears out. I just wipe the wet crud off and stuff it back in. I've used it 5 times in one day and have also let it sit idle for months at a time. Works no matter what.