Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Make shift paint booth?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2005, 11:38 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Make shift paint booth?

Looking for some ideas. Im wanting to build me a small paint booth in my garage. Large enough to do a fender or hood. I would use my garage but the hot water heater is located in there and its gas powered. pilot + combustable gasses = not good. I was thinking of making a frame out of 2x2 and sandwiching a decent mil plastic inbetween them. Im thinking of putting the top around the scuttle hole so that I can lay a fan down to blow air from the un-insulated attic above the garage. then putting a barrel blower at the bottom to finish off the air system. filters of course on the ins and outs. THe out vent would then lead to the outside, thru the partially opened garage door. does this sound at all feasable? all im trying to do is minimize overspray so that i dont mess up neighboring houses, and also minimize contaminants into my paint jobs.
Old 02-08-2005, 04:08 PM
TECH Regular

You can do that my experince with plastic for the walls in great for the first paint job but the next ones will have paint flakes in them.... the paint will stick on the plastic and then keep flakeing off for weeks. If you will keep this in garage, it is real hard not to have overspray getting out and on to stuff in the garage. still a bit scary to have the pilot burning. If I were looking to paint a hood or a few things, I would replace the plastic each use. as for the air, it should work. overspray has a way of getting into the most unwanted places. if your home is attached, you may have some overspeay in the house.
Old 02-09-2005, 09:06 AM
Launching!

well, after looking at some home made kits, all over the net. and finally comming to a place that sells actual booths brand new. the price for a prand new booth isnt to bad. 4-5k for a standard 26' crossflow. I think ill just wait till me and the miss get hitched so that I can just build it in a shop out behind the house.
Old 02-09-2005, 09:19 AM
10 Second Club

I would be concerned about the overspray going to a neighbors house. I had a neighbor who sprayed his fence and the overspray got all over another neighbors house 3 houses down.That was water based paint that cleaned up easy. Auto paint is a different story; it doesn't clean up that easy. I would also check into the local zoning laws. Some cities don't allow auto painting in a residential area and will fine you if a neighbor reports you (ususally by the putrid smell).
Old 02-25-2005, 03:13 PM
On The Tree

The other thing you need to becareful of is using a normal fan to pull paint fumes out of the painting area. A normal fan motor is not explosion proof. You are pulling the same explosive fumes into a motor that is arcing internally that you are worried about getting to your water heater.

Just be careful if you make something yourself.
Old 02-25-2005, 03:20 PM
Launching!

just for your own knowledge...if you don't have a permit to have a spray booth and someone calls the town on you...get ready to pay a nice fine....its a good idea...but it has its risks...it only takes one person to rat ya out
Old 02-25-2005, 09:51 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just get an electric water heater. Don't use a fan to blow air in. Use a furnace filter for your intake. Use a remote mounted motor with a belt to the fan.

Quick Reply: Make shift paint booth?