Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

matco vs snap on

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2005, 07:53 PM
t-1
11 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

the modis is new and people will learn how to work it better. i put on classes for the guys in my area with a local expert. snap on has the highest price(most of the time) and quality and the best way to sell it is service. a lot of people exagerate (sp?) the price. i have metric sets in the 320 range or really big sets for more. life time warranty is good but if you keep haveing to replace it in the middle of a job the durability is what matters. ive seen off brand stuff hurt people. but its all good its a never ending arguement most of its proveable but if your a dick head dealer you are s. o. l. good wrenching guys
Old 05-30-2005, 08:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by t-1
your modis is probally not the 5.2 version.
well at least you know the problem, my snap-on rep is clueless
every time I ask him for a specialty tool he gets a dopey look on his face.
Originally Posted by poolshark021
Not to mention you have to buy add-ons if you want to do coil-on-plug ignitions or 5 gas analyzers.
AND....pay for the damn updates 4 times a year. what a waste of money
Old 05-31-2005, 12:07 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by t-1
im a snap on dealer. i choose to be a snap on dealer not because of the money but because its a tool i can believe in.
I agree with you 90% of the way, yes I only use Snap On swivel sockets cause of the protective sleeve. Granted you can buy tools from anywhere with a lifetime warranty but the fastener they potentially round has no warranty.

Matco tool boxes, sorry I can drill out a snap on lock too. Snap on tool boxes are using a design they have had for yearsssss. The KRL hutch is disaster to assemble. My KRL tool cart the stupid top would not lock correctly, that spring always screwed up, I finally just broke out the torch and some brazing rod and fixed it for good

I also like snap on stuff cause most of it is Made in USA. I really like the micro vat, great investment, picks up the slightest irregular current flow with key off. Stops comebacks.

Funny I get something in the mail with a picture of a Modis "you have earned it" a $XX,000 credit line Odd a fully loaded Modis is around $12k with gas analyser etc.
Old 06-11-2005, 04:57 PM
Ls1tech Bad Ass

i tend to prefer snap-on, mostly because that is the only rep in town that frequents our shop every friday; when it comes to specialty tools and sockets, i would much rather fork over the extra money to get something that makes it easier for me to earn my living. also, my rep. is awesome at details and knows every price, model #, etc. of every tool on his truck, in the catalog and in their computer... hes also usually willing to make a deal with us, and he gave me no interest financing on my box (which may not be that big of a deal, but it was certianly a selling point for me). for stuff i dont use every day, i head to sears... for the tools i use on a regular basis, my money is well spent with snap-on. :-D
Old 06-12-2005, 08:31 AM
TECH Junkie

I don't have any tools from matco but I do have the tool chest and I love it. It is 100 times better than my old craftsman. I can put all my weight on a drawer and it wont twist at all.

For anyone who thinks the toolbox isnt as important you are wrong I can lock mine and have no worries anyone can get into it.
Old 06-12-2005, 09:08 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't care who makes the box if someone wants in bad enough the locks are not too hard to drill out, break out or whatever. many shops have a cutting torch in the shop and a thief will torch the locks out to get the tools that are inside. I also know of a guy I once worked with having his box stolen when some guys took a truck and pulled the garage door off and then pushed his box up a ramp into a trailer, he later found his tools for sale in a pawn shop with his name still engraved on them.
Old 06-12-2005, 09:59 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by redaddiction
I don't have any tools from matco but I do have the tool chest and I love it. It is 100 times better than my old craftsman. I can put all my weight on a drawer and it wont twist at all.

For anyone who thinks the toolbox isnt as important you are wrong I can lock mine and have no worries anyone can get into it.
My Matco rep weighs an easy 300lbs. When he was trying to sell me my box, he pulled the top drawer out and sat on it. He even bounced on it a few times. Of course the box was strapped to the side of his truck, but still the drawer didn't even budge. Thats what I call quality!
Old 06-12-2005, 05:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

"For anyone who thinks the toolbox isnt as important you are wrong I can lock mine and have no worries anyone can get into it."

Matco boxes are really easy to breakinto. I dont know about the snap on ones.
Once you know how to do it youll want to fix it so you cant, but then if you lose you keys your screwed.
I love my matco box, I love my matco tools, I love my snap on tools I hate the snap on guy, hes a dick, every snap on guy I have met has been a total dick so my purchases from snap on are limited or online.
Old 06-12-2005, 06:47 PM
TECH Regular

Default tools

Im not one sided on either matco or snap on tools. I use both, both are of great quality and perform great. I just prefer thier different designs on some of their tools. I like matcos reversible ratchet wrenches better than snap on because the heads of the wrenches are smaller and eiser to get into smaller places. I tend to use my snap on pliers and punches more often than my matco set. The only thing i have bad to say about snap on is that i have never had any luck with their impacts, out of the 3 i have owned the all wear out twice as fast of my mac matco , or cheap stuff like cp.
Old 06-12-2005, 09:16 PM
Teching In

I'm new to the forum and wanted to say a quick hello and say that I have to agree that matco and snap on are of great quality. I have a tool box full of both along with mac and s-k. I'm not a big fan of the Modis though. Are shop just got the 5.2 update but it's still not as good as the OTC Genysis in my opinion. As far as impacts go you can't beat IR tools.
Old 06-12-2005, 09:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ta12sec
"For anyone who thinks the toolbox isnt as important you are wrong I can lock mine and have no worries anyone can get into it."

Matco boxes are really easy to breakinto. I dont know about the snap on ones.
Once you know how to do it youll want to fix it so you cant, but then if you lose you keys your screwed.
I love my matco box, I love my matco tools, I love my snap on tools I hate the snap on guy, hes a dick, every snap on guy I have met has been a total dick so my purchases from snap on are limited or online.
Got any more info on the lock issue ?
Old 06-12-2005, 11:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

"I'm not a big fan of the Modis though"

Im very happy i dont have to use modis being supplied with manufaturers supplied equipmenet
Old 06-13-2005, 07:09 AM
Restricted User

Default matco vs. snap-on

They are both good tools, but each one has it goods and bads. They both have warranty so I guess sometimes it comes down to money and customer service.
Old 06-16-2005, 08:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm not sure which Matco boxes some of you have seen, but the newest, most expensive ones have keys that are cut real fancy, like VW keys, I don't know much about locks, but they seem like they'd be very hard to pick
Old 06-16-2005, 09:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

you cant pick the locks but you can get into em very easy
im gonna leave it at that snapons are the same thing you can get into em easy to if ya know how
Old 06-17-2005, 01:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

combo of craftsmen,snap-on,and cornwell
Old 06-19-2005, 12:48 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by t-1
im a snap on dealer.
Another Snap-on employee

and ive seen mac s newest wobbly design **** up a customers hand.
I've made the call to scrap several tubs of pry bars because we found a crack in a couple of them (could only be seen under a microscope) and even though it would probably not happen, we didn't want to put our customers at risk with them breaking while in use.
Old 06-19-2005, 01:12 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Shamrock98TA

I've made the call to scrap several tubs of pry bars because we found a crack in a couple of them (could only be seen under a microscope) and even though it would probably not happen, we didn't want to put our customers at risk with them breaking while in use.

Seeing as your a snap on employee how about building an impact thats worth a **** and giving it a better warranty than just a year as much as you people charge I can buy 2 ingersolls. Give someone a reason to buy from you make the other options look like a waste of money I don't mind spending extra if the tool gets a 2 or 3 year warranty as opposed to a 1 year.
Old 06-19-2005, 12:26 PM
Teching In

it just depends on whether you make your living with your tools or just wrench in your garage. any of the major brands mentioned will be fine for the garage wrench but as was said earlier, Snap-On is the hand tool to have if you have to do it all day, every day. notice I said hand tool...for specialty tools, air tools or meters and such, I chose the ones with the features I needed or wanted...and it wasnt always Snap-On. I have some Mac tools but I dont think Matco was even around when I was on the line.

as far as Snap-On and their warranty, how can you call "hand over the broken one and here's your new one" bad warranty? I would get my ratchet guts replaced even when "it just feels funny" , right there on the truck. frankly, I never had much need for warranty besides ratchets I used with pipe sleeves or screwdrivers I used as chisels. even if the chrome was just discolored from heavy usage, there was never a question, Joe just gave me a new one. cant beat that. and he comes to you....

I'll post some pics of my 20+yr old Snap-On box when it quits rainin and I can move my truck out of the garage. it still looks brand new. you get what you pay for in most things...
Old 06-20-2005, 10:00 AM
TECH Veteran

My neighbor is a Snap-Off dealer in Weschester county NY.

He used to race nitro-fuel dragsters in the 1960s at Englishtown New Jersey. So, he is knowledgeable about tools - I don't know if he knows much about electronic scanners and such but he told me that Span-Off, Inc. beleives that electronic gizmos are the future of tools sales here on earth....

Anyway, I always invite him to the NHRA Spring Nationals. He said he can't go becasue he would immediately sell everything he owns to buy a nitro car for the NHRA tour....

I told him drag racing has changed a bunch in 40 years. You can't just buy a car for 100K and expect to race Larry Dixon since one of his short blocks costs that now....

Quick Reply: matco vs snap on