Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Welding the exhaust...

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2005, 07:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Welding the exhaust...

So yeah, I plan on welding with a line? welder? My dads friend who is a pro welder is gonna do it. I have Jet Hot LT's, into a Jet Hot ORY and a cutout. Since its coated, will there be any problems welding?

On the cutout I want to spray this heat treated coating on it. Should I wait till after the cutout is welded into the y pipe and i pipe, or is it ok if it's painted? My dad told me if I sprayed it with this protectant it may not weld because it needs to be the bare metal.
Old 06-07-2005, 07:52 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by blind527
So yeah, I plan on welding with a line? welder? My dads friend who is a pro welder is gonna do it. I have Jet Hot LT's, into a Jet Hot ORY and a cutout. Since its coated, will there be any problems welding?

On the cutout I want to spray this heat treated coating on it. Should I wait till after the cutout is welded into the y pipe and i pipe, or is it ok if it's painted? My dad told me if I sprayed it with this protectant it may not weld because it needs to be the bare metal.

Bare metal, and grind the coating off where you are going to weld. Non contaminated material to work with is best when welding.
Old 06-07-2005, 08:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Do you mean grind the coating off the Jet Hot coated y pipe? Should I just sand down the end till most of the coating is off?
Old 06-07-2005, 09:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the more coating you get off where your going to weld, the easier and better the weld will be
Old 06-08-2005, 09:48 AM
TECH Veteran

Some people say to disconnect the battery and computer if you are arc welding. Since I'm not an expert on this one, ask others here...
Old 06-08-2005, 10:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by robertbartsch
Some people say to disconnect the battery and computer if you are arc welding. Since I'm not an expert on this one, ask others here...
definetly disconnect the battery when welding on the car......