Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Porting Your Own Heads?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2005, 06:33 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Porting Your Own Heads?

So guys is it a good idea to port your own heads? I have some expirience with power tools and automotive equipment. But I was thinking about doing this, found a tool too. It looks easy you think I should give it a try. Anyone out there done anything like porting your own heads? Maybe give me some info,help or tips. thinks a bunch.oh and here is the link to the tool I found maybe u can find me a better one.
http://www.eastwoodco.com/shopping/p...&keyword=46056
Old 07-07-2005, 07:15 AM
11 Second Club

Definitely a good idea.There are particular areas that needs attention that can be found thru a search. Plenty of potential... as of right now iirc afr is the only one not using a stock casting, everyone else are porting the 4(?) different variations of the stock head.Had mine professionally done and he pointed out a few things that he addressed.... still have'nt put them on yet but can clearly see some major work done. As said earlier just 'opening ' up the ports is'nt neccessarily the right thing to do, but for the effort its going to take,to find what particular areas to do.ie. short side radius, bowls, unshrouding the valve... Btw as with anything pertaining to motors, you might want to have your stock heads flowed to see where you stand to compare to your efforts after...just a thought.....
Old 07-07-2005, 09:37 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Rays C5
Definitely a good idea.There are particular areas that needs attention that can be found thru a search. Plenty of potential... as of right now iirc afr is the only one not using a stock casting, everyone else are porting the 4(?) different variations of the stock head.Had mine professionally done and he pointed out a few things that he addressed.... still have'nt put them on yet but can clearly see some major work done. As said earlier just 'opening ' up the ports is'nt neccessarily the right thing to do, but for the effort its going to take,to find what particular areas to do.ie. short side radius, bowls, unshrouding the valve... Btw as with anything pertaining to motors, you might want to have your stock heads flowed to see where you stand to compare to your efforts after...just a thought.....
Hey thinks I have a cam I just bought and I have like the cam card and was trying to port my stock heads to match the cam specs to the best I could.
I now know that there is a lot to porting then just some afternoon job. it is more of an art form, it needs a lot of attention. Kind of reminds me of wood carving. But if anyone has any other tips I can use just let me know.
Old 07-07-2005, 10:53 AM
10 Second Club

I'll wish you luck. Ive ported many cast iron heads and plan on doing it again soon, but Ive yet to touch good flowing aluminum heads and I dont think I ever will. If you're gonna do it I applaud you and just do as much research as possible.
Old 07-07-2005, 01:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Don't hog too much material out under the valve spring seats as many professional porting shops have experienced imploding heads from this problem....

Gen 3 heads flow very well from the factory and increasing their flow is diffucult - even with professional equipment such as a flow bench, ect.

My suggestion would be to play safe and buy some pro-prepared ported heads that you know will perform well.
Old 07-07-2005, 03:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Don't forget to get the equipment to measure the combustion chamber volume. That way you can make sure all the chambers are matched.
Old 07-07-2005, 03:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by priscilla ls1
So guys is it a good idea to port your own heads? I have some expirience with power tools and automotive equipment. But I was thinking about doing this, found a tool too. It looks easy you think I should give it a try. Anyone out there done anything like porting your own heads? Maybe give me some info,help or tips. thinks a bunch.oh and here is the link to the tool I found maybe u can find me a better one.
http://www.eastwoodco.com/shopping/p...&keyword=46056
If you search under my name you will find a lot of stuff on porting your stockers. I have written it up too many times to repost here.

That kit should work perfectly to do what you need.

Nate

Quick Reply: Porting Your Own Heads?