Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Gas vs Electric

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2005, 04:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Gas vs Electric

So whats the deal? I am looking to buy a weed wacker and a leaf blower, but I don't know if I should go with gas or electric. Gas is easier to use because you don't have to keep lugging a cord everywhere you go, but its a pain in the *** when it runs out of gas. Gas products are also a lot more expensive.

So is there any additional performance for going with a gas model, or do they both perform the same?

Don't mind spending the extra money on lawn equipment, but if its a waste I don't want to bother....thanks
Old 08-04-2005, 07:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 2002 Trans Am
So whats the deal? I am looking to buy a weed wacker and a leaf blower, but I don't know if I should go with gas or electric. Gas is easier to use because you don't have to keep lugging a cord everywhere you go, but its a pain in the *** when it runs out of gas. Gas products are also a lot more expensive.

So is there any additional performance for going with a gas model, or do they both perform the same?

Don't mind spending the extra money on lawn equipment, but if its a waste I don't want to bother....thanks
I hate having to go buy gas for the lawn equipment, and I sure as hell don't want to have to keep two gas cans (one with the oil/gas mix) - everything but my mower is electric.

If all you're doing is trimming or blowing grass clippings, electric will do everything gas will. My $30 electric weed whacker is on it's 3rd season - only thing is that it uses THIN string that breaks way too easy - my next one will have THICK string. Just got a blower this year - only used it three times, but it works fine so far - it's a variable speed so I can blow all the crap into a nice pile.
Old 08-04-2005, 08:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought a 6' long gas weedeater when I owned a lot of frontage with a hill. I could whack a path about ten or twelve foot wide. That's great! Makes quick work of everything.

Then I moved to a smaller yard and cut down a lot of things I didn't want to cut before I got it all figured out.

It has tremendous power, and I don't have to fool with 200' of power cords. I have two mowers, a tiller, a snowblower, and two chainsaws that I have to gas up so I have two 5 gal gas cans. Out of those I fill up my 2 gal mix can. It lasts quite a while and I can whack the entire yard before I have to fill up again.

I'd say unless you can deal with reduced power and lots of cords that gas is the way to go.
Old 08-04-2005, 08:47 PM
Staging Lane

I have a good straight shaft gas weed whacker, that will take a blade for cutting brush up to 2" thick and it also has a string head for triming. I also have what was the best (at least the most expensive) electric weed whacker that Sears sold two years ago. It has a 10 amp motor I believe. Both will do a good job, but the gas one is a lot more powerfull.

I could get by with just the electric one around my 1½ acre yard, as I spray a lot of Roundup. But I got the gas one when we had a couple of horses, as I didn't want to spray Roundup near their pasture.

It all depends on how much yard you have.