Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Frustrated with torque wrench calibration

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2005, 02:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Frustrated with torque wrench calibration

I have taken 4 of our torque wrenches in this year to be calibrated. 3 out of 4 have been NRTS'd (Not Repairable This Station, i.e. BUSTED). What's frustrating to me is that the Cal. shop has too much leverage (pun intended ) on things like this. It's easy for you to drop something off, they break it, then call you up and say it's broken.

One torque wrench is a Proto brand dial-type. It came back "inconsistent". Fine, ordered a new one. Replaced it with a MAC reversible of equivalent range. Took it out of the box, handed it to them (UN-USED), they call me back the next day and tell me it's broken. I've called MAC and they were supposed to send me a box so I can send it to them for evaluation. This wa back in October; I have yet to see anything in the mail yet, and the lady that handles Military accounts hasn't returned my calls. They will determine whether it was a manufacturing defect or abuse. I'm hoping it will be abuse, they'll send me a letter certifying it, then I can take the Cal. Shop the broken torque wrench w/ a $260 bill for a new one.

Earlier this week, I took them a big 1/2" Snap-On torque wrench. Yesterday they call me and tell me THAT one is broken.

Man, I'm wantin' to kill these dudes.
Old 12-02-2005, 02:16 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Compstall
I have taken 4 of our torque wrenches in this year to be calibrated. 3 out of 4 have been NRTS'd (Not Repairable This Station, i.e. BUSTED). What's frustrating to me is that the Cal. shop has too much leverage (pun intended ) on things like this. It's easy for you to drop something off, they break it, then call you up and say it's broken.

One torque wrench is a Proto brand dial-type. It came back "inconsistent". Fine, ordered a new one. Replaced it with a MAC reversible of equivalent range. Took it out of the box, handed it to them (UN-USED), they call me back the next day and tell me it's broken. I've called MAC and they were supposed to send me a box so I can send it to them for evaluation. This wa back in October; I have yet to see anything in the mail yet, and the lady that handles Military accounts hasn't returned my calls. They will determine whether it was a manufacturing defect or abuse. I'm hoping it will be abuse, they'll send me a letter certifying it, then I can take the Cal. Shop the broken torque wrench w/ a $260 bill for a new one.

Earlier this week, I took them a big 1/2" Snap-On torque wrench. Yesterday they call me and tell me THAT one is broken.

Man, I'm wantin' to kill these dudes.
Is there maybe another shop you an take it to for calibration? At least for a second opinion? Sounds like you're getting taken for a ride.
Old 12-02-2005, 06:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

No, this is the only place on base. The only thing I really have to go through is the paperwork, the money comes out of the taxpayers' pockets (i.e. YOU).

Quick Reply: Frustrated with torque wrench calibration