Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

car lift

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2005, 04:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default car lift

I'm thinking about just giving in to temptation and getting a lift. Having a lowered TA, I just can't stand the amount of time it takes to get the car into the air anymore. My ceiling gives me 89 inches of clearance in a two car garage. I've been looking at the pro park 7 along with the projacks from this website http://www.derekweaver.com/flash/index.html . it's a flash site so I can't direct link to the product. Just click on the "rodder's garage" link to see what I'm talking about. Does anyone in here have any experience with this product? I know eventually I'll build a taller garage that I can actually use the lift to it's full height, but for now this would still be a grat help. I'm hovering over the cost/value line right now, & I was hoping that some of you guys could help sway me in a direction. The good news, the women of the house says I should get it. But I think it's because she is sick of me tlaking about it. anyway, You guys have an opinion?
Old 12-06-2005, 06:00 PM
TECH Resident

i was thinking of getting one becuase of the 12 foot ceilings in the garage...too bad my garage door is normal sized

just something to thin about
Old 12-06-2005, 06:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

This other place sells the same lift except comes with a drain pan I think.

www.gregsmithequipment.com

It's called a direct lift pro park 7, they have a video of it in action too.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 12-06-2005, 07:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I like these guys because they are close enough to me that I can pick it up, or have it delivered and even setup for a fair price. They were referred directly off the manufactures website. Their price is $1895, and they are throwing in two drip (oil) pans, a tray to hold a jack on, and a caster kit all included with original price. So these guys are pretty much my best option. Plus, I talked to them on the phone today, quick to return a call, very helpful & overall customer friendly. I'm a stickler on customer service (ofcourse I can't give a complete reccomendation till I complete the purchase). On the projack 5 they are selling $100 off list right now at $495 instead of $595.
Old 12-06-2005, 07:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sounds like you've already talked yourself into it. Go get it and let us know how it is.
Old 12-06-2005, 07:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by m1key99WS6
Sounds like you've already talked yourself into it. Go get it and let us know how it is.
You're 99% right on that one. I would just like to here from anyone that's used one, or something very similar. Ah hell.. I'm just a cheap bastard that has a hard time spending more than $600 at one time. I'm sure unless someone in here tells me how these things are falling on there pets or something, I'll probably get it.
Old 12-06-2005, 09:53 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been using this lift for over 4 years, and am still just as happy with it as the day I got it! Spend a few extra dollars and get the aluminum ramps, you will be glad you did! I got the lift, 3 drip trays, the jack bridge and a set of aluminum ramps for a little less than $2100. It has made many hundred trips up and down over the years.
I love being able to move the lift out onto the drive when the weather is nice, and I regularly move it between my two shops depending on what I am working on.
Good guys, good lift!

Regards, John McGraw
Old 12-06-2005, 10:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I appreciate the comments. When I spoke to the local distributor here about my car, he had made me real sure that I would save myself some board laying by getting the aluminum ramps.
Old 12-07-2005, 04:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I went ahead and ordered it today. They are hoping for a next thursday delivery. I'll post pics & impressions after My tranny service & clutch install in a couple of weeks.
Old 12-10-2005, 11:18 AM
Teching In

Sorry this is a little late, but if overhead room is an issue in your garage........I've been very happy with the Kwiklift Drive on lift
Old 12-17-2005, 08:55 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

Any updates on this lift? I'm also casually shopping around for one.
Old 12-18-2005, 12:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Later today I'll give a more in depth response specifically to my my situation of low ceiling height. My camera crapped on me when I went out to snap some pics, so I need to grab my g/f's. But my initial response after lifting the car a couple of times, is something similar to the getting my first bike. (insert happy dancing bunnies here).
I'll get back later tonight.
Old 12-18-2005, 10:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Okay, first off, I am very happy with my purchase. The only complaint I could even come up with is I wish there were more locks lower down the poles due to the fact I have a low ceiling.

a couple of pics

already getting to work on a few things

trying to get a shot of the projack 5,

the motor and lock release handle

center jack

frame contact of jack

higher than the average bar stool

how high can we go

today I started working under the car, took out the exhaust, tranny, third member & axles out of the nine inch, torque arm, and driveshaft. with the lift setup, this went very easy & very quick. I ran into a little trouble when taking the 3rd member out. The projack 5 is a big piece & it took up a good amount of space I could have used to better posistion myself to lift that heavy piece. other than that, great experience.

Overall the ease of use is fantastic, the caster kit is also very easy to put on and roll around. My TA has a 1 1/2 inch drop on it, with a spohn tunnel brace torque arm, and it all clears over the lift with the projack on. So in sum, this piece would do much better in a high ceiling garage, but it is still a life saver, & very useful in a low ceiling app. hope that helps, back out to the garage I go.
Old 12-18-2005, 10:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Forgot 2

better jack pics

Last edited by richieg; 12-18-2005 at 10:42 PM. Reason: wrong picture
Old 12-18-2005, 11:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok thats pimp.... I just told my wife today about this after reading your post. She said have fun saving for that. I do have a few questions for you. How thick is your concrete? My garage doesn't appear to be as deep as yours though, how big is your garage?

Awsome man, just awsome. Every mans dream should be to have a lift in the garage.
Old 12-19-2005, 01:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

here's the only pic on my computer of my garage.

It's a seperate building away from the house. two car, standard size. the lift is just a tad less wide than the door. The lowest point from the ceiling is 89 inches being the bottom of the garage door motor. I cheated by positioning the lift so the low part of the hatch in under that. The second lowest point right above the highest point of the car is the light fixture around 97 inches. My concrete is 4 1/2 inches. The lift asks for 4. And why I'm here, I fogot to give props to the guys I bought it from.
They were completely great to deal with. They were very communicative, & most importantly totally on schedule. http://www.derekweaver.com/flash/index.html
Old 12-19-2005, 05:24 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the info. I have a standard 2 car garage as well (20x24) but I don't know the thickness of the concerete.
Old 12-20-2005, 04:04 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

Thanks for the feedback, I guess i'll measure my ceiling height tonight. I think I have a 10' ceiling in my garage. Did you assemble the lift yourself? How difficult was it, and how long did it take?
Old 12-20-2005, 05:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I admit it I'm a pansy. I paid $350 to have them deliver it from about 50 miles away and set it up. The most work I did was pour a cup of coffee. It took them 1 1/2 hours to set it up. They have been doing this for a few years according to them. But I can say that with two guys, setup is very easy. The primary reason I got this lift was safety, so it made since to me to have the pros set it up for me. Plus they went over all of the first few times of use jitters with me, let me know what to expect, service tips etc.

As far as using it, so far I've already rebuilt my currie 9, greased every bushing for fun, found & replaced a broken sway bar mount, put on new brake lines & replaced ebrake cables, and getting ready to do a new clutch, for all of the work I have done, I've only had a bit less than 3hours in the garage. This lift makes work so much easier.
Old 12-20-2005, 06:46 PM
TECH Resident

Wow I'm starting a new savings plan anyone know where the magical 25% interest rates are?

Quick Reply: car lift