Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

air compressor mounting??

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2006, 11:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default air compressor mounting??

ok im looking into ideas on places to mount my air compressor. id like to get it off the floor and put it in a spot that would otherwise be unused space. this is in my gerage btw.
a few ideas.
on the side out the house (behind fence) with some kind of enclosure. im worried about noise with this. neighbors window is close by. i would put a hardline comming into the gerage from outside.

2. in the attic above the gerage with hardline. here im worried about vibrations and noise in the house.

3. mount it on the ceailing in the corner of the gerage. same problems as attic.

any good ideas? i am kind of leaning toward the attic.

any recomendations for material to use for the hardlines? somthing that isnt alot of $$

brook
Old 05-19-2006, 08:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

1. Go with an oiled compressor, noise is completely different. Still reasonably loud, but not rattly loud. More of a low chucka-chucka-chucka. And don't have hardline all the way, you need to go flexible from the compressor to the wall. This reduces vibration on the pipes.

2&3. Mounted in the rafters, yes, it's going to make noise. But again, oiled is much better. You can use rubber isolators on the compressor feet to reduce vibration transmission, and again, use flexible line from the compressor to the hard line.

I like copper (imagine that ). Easy to customize. Thick PVC might work, but you take the risk of it becoming brittle and exploding... roll the dice there. Galvanized pipe is good, but you need a pipe threader to make custom lengths. A Benz-O-Matic torch is sooo easy with copper.
Old 05-24-2006, 09:53 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by aggiez28
any good ideas? i am kind of leaning toward the attic.
I would not put it in the attic because:
1) Vibration
2) It's usually hot up in the attic with poor circulation, and you want cool air going into (and around) your compressor.
3) It's harder to figure out how to drain the moisture from the tank.

If your garage is attached, I would mount it in the basement and run the piping to the garage. If not, I would just build an enclosure in your current garage that had the inlet to fresh, outside air.

Also, if you haven't bought your air compressor yet, STAY AWAY from the direct drive ones. They will drive you nuts from the noise.
Old 05-25-2006, 10:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

I would not put it in the attic because:
1) Vibration
2) It's usually hot up in the attic with poor circulation, and you want cool air going into (and around) your compressor.
3) It's harder to figure out how to drain the moisture from the tank.
the vibrations is the main reason the attic concerns me. cool air and circulation is better but it wouldnt cause any huge problems mounting it in the attic. it just wouldnt be the best place.
as for the moistre thing. it would be the same as having it mounted anywhere else.

If your garage is attached, I would mount it in the basement and run the piping to the garage. If not, I would just build an enclosure in your current garage that had the inlet to fresh, outside air.
no basements here in Houston
i may just keep it in the gerage where its sitting now.

thanks for the ideas
brook
Old 05-25-2006, 02:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My old roomie and I mounted it in the attic above the garage, ran the line through the ceiling connected to the ceiling mounted retractable hose reel Worked awesome, not a whole lot of noise either, but im sure it got pretty hot........

we ran a brass pipe down through the ceiling with a valve at the end to drain the water out.

Quick Reply: air compressor mounting??