Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Tips on making turbo headers

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2006, 11:13 AM
7 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Tips on making turbo headers

This would be my first time trying to make a set of headers but not making sheetmetal parts. Would the best way be to build a jig that holds the flange and the collector and build each runner and completely weld each runner before welding it to the collector and cylinder head flange? Should I use slip on collectors or weld them on? It will be a turbo motor.
Old 06-26-2006, 11:28 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well you can always tac a ltitle support to the car to hold the flange in place while you weld the header together.

We didn't even go that far though, we just cut and taced the primaries together and fitted everything till it was right, then welded each primary together then put them into the flange for final fitment.
Old 06-26-2006, 04:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just got a bunch of U-bends and J-bends and cut them to fit right when mocking in the car. If I didnt put a little tack weld to hold them together, i usually numbered them by cylinder and then by order with which they go together..
Old 06-26-2006, 06:20 PM

PM RealQuick. I know he made his own custom turbo set up. Others have made them using truck manifolds facing forward and fabed up the connector pipe.
Old 06-27-2006, 02:59 PM
Staging Lane

Here is one that was made with pretty thick tube, but would probably support a turbo all on its own.

http://www.sdsefi.com/techheader.htm
Old 07-14-2006, 03:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could do something like that. I would recommend if nothing else that you have a spare head or at least a ½-1” thick plate with the header bolt pattern drilled into it to hold the flange flat. I actually have an extra engine sitting on an engine stand next to my bench just for mocking up headers and crossovers.