Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Looking for input on steel buildings

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2006, 03:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Looking for input on steel buildings

I'm looking to build a garage of some sorts. The price and labor of a steel building is very attractive. I'm thinking I can just about double the size with one of these for the same price. I'm looking for some feedback from anyone that has one....good or bad. I'm thinking something in the 30x70 size range.
Old 06-30-2006, 03:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Lots of discussion here:

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/index.php?

My next door neighbor is putting up a 24x24 right now. I think it's going to run him about $20k, maybe $25k by the time everything's done. Mine's a 30x30. I love it. It gets hot / cold, even though it's insulated. I couldn't imagine an uninsulated version tho. I didn't build it (previous owner did) - it's the reason we bought the house tho.

My $.02:

Lots of lights
Lots of outlets
Go big on the electrical service (mine's 80 amp / 220 V and that's not enough IMO)
Put in running water - a toilet and a sink (mine doesn't have water)

Plan well ahead. Hop over to that web site and do some searching. Lots of info there.
Old 06-30-2006, 07:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

A friend just put a shop up. 32x64. Very nice unit. I believe the concrete cost more than the building. It'll be a nice set-up once they're done moving all there equiptment into it.
Old 07-03-2006, 06:14 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by PipesTA
A friend just put a shop up. 32x64. Very nice unit. I believe the concrete cost more than the building. It'll be a nice set-up once they're done moving all there equiptment into it.
I am in the process of helping my dad erect 120'x120' building, I think the concrete cost somewhere around $30,000. Steel building are cheap when compared to the concrete.

Quick Reply: Looking for input on steel buildings