Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

custom headers????

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 08:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default custom headers????

Where do you guys get all of your custom header supplies at? Tubing and flanges etc. Or header kits trying to make a set for a buddies V6 truck and if that works out well my V6 grandprix
Old 07-17-2006, 09:12 AM
TECH Addict

http://www.stainlessworks.net/ has good stuff, I got my last header stuff from MadMan. We usually just make our own flanges for turbos and we actually got my ls1 head flanges off a set of ls1 headers we cut up
Old 07-17-2006, 12:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

cool, you can weld all this stuff with a regular wire feed mig welder correct?
Old 07-17-2006, 01:44 PM
Staging Lane

You can, but TIG is much better for the tubes. MIG works well for the flange to tube connections where you want a bigger fillet.

You can buy a set of raw flanges from GM for the LS1 for about $20 for the pair, at least that was the case a couple of years ago.

I don't know about Stainless, but mandrel bends are priced all over the map around here. Several hot-rod shops carry them but the same part varies about 2x in price depending on where you buy them. If you can find the wholesaler who sells them in your area and manage to get in the door, you will get a better price.

You might think about having the little cruciform piece you'll need to close out the tubes at the collector cut on a waterjet (unless you are going to use merge or slip-on collectors) I seem to always have leaks there when I pressure test the headers.

Quick Reply: custom headers????