Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Propane Heaters?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 01:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Propane Heaters?

Hi, I'm looking for propane and propane accessories lol sorry, too much King of the Hill

Anyways, the barn I'm working out of is goina need some heat this winter.

I'm pretty much just looking for a portable sized propane heater, but I don't know where to go or how much I'm goina be spending.

I'll only use it when i'm there, and I want something to heat an area. I have a little, pretty much camping one that attaches onto a propane bottle with two heaters on it, but its only directional. I want something to throw heat in a larger area

whata you guys recommend?
Old 10-24-2006, 02:26 PM
Teching In

i have the smallest turbo heater they have at home depot . it dosent get real cold here and its in a regular garage but i seems to work pretty good . i think it was like $100 . if you have bigger area , they make alot of different sizes .
Old 10-24-2006, 03:30 PM
TECH Regular

I have the type that looks like a wok turned upside down over a tube it is 0-250000 btu, it gets a two car garage real hot but it takes a lot of propain to heat.
Old 10-24-2006, 03:35 PM
Teching In

We use the Mr. Heater, is that legal? Brand type of three burner heater, it sets atop a 20 lb tank. Works great and heats up quick. Only issue is it needs to be kept clean. We have had some flameouts.
Old 10-25-2006, 10:01 AM
Launching!

How well insulated is the said barn and how big of an area?
Old 10-29-2006, 01:47 AM
11 Second Club

why propane? I use a kerosene torpedo heater in my garage. heats a big area pretty quick and doesnt smell too bad. maybe I just havent seen a good one yet, but all the propane heaters Ive seen didnt do a good job. the torpedo heater will also heat you up very quickly by just standing in front of it for a few seconds. not too closely though. lol.
Old 10-29-2006, 02:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Irocss85
why propane? I use a kerosene torpedo heater in my garage. heats a big area pretty quick and doesnt smell too bad. maybe I just havent seen a good one yet, but all the propane heaters Ive seen didnt do a good job. the torpedo heater will also heat you up very quickly by just standing in front of it for a few seconds. not too closely though. lol.

yea skip the propane and go with the kerosene heaters, mines 250,000 btu and it warms my shop up instantly. plus it will sip 10gallons of kero over a span of 12 hours.

-john
Old 10-29-2006, 09:39 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by JPMuscle
yea skip the propane and go with the kerosene heaters, mines 250,000 btu and it warms my shop up instantly. plus it will sip 10gallons of kero over a span of 12 hours.

-john

I was avoiding the torpedo type fuel heaters b/c of the smell and fumes

was told that it can get pretty bad

how much is kerosene these days?
Old 10-29-2006, 02:58 PM
11 Second Club

good question. I havent bought it since last winter. it was cheaper then gas back then but gas has come down. not sure if that has any affect on the price of kerosene or not. I usually just turn it on for about 15min.s then shut it off for atleast a few hours. mine holds like 4 or 5 gal.s, and it last forever before I have to fill it. it depends on how much I work over the winter months, but last year I only had to fill it in spring, and once more in the middle of winter. my garage is decently insulated though, so you'll need more if its a detached garage.
Old 10-29-2006, 04:17 PM
TECH Junkie

the garage is attached to the house, 8' ceilings, and room for 2 cars

i've just been told over and over that the torpedo types stink like crazy. maybe a different type of kerosene heater will be fine
Old 10-29-2006, 08:01 PM
12 Second Club

i have a torpedo heater. used the "clean" kerosene u buy at menards and it was way less fumes over regular kerosene, but it cost a lil more. i think i paid $7 for 2 gallons
Old 10-29-2006, 09:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have access to you natural gas line here is a idea. Nice and quite, works great!, cost effective as well.
Very happy with my unit.
They also have some propane units.

They make units just for homes and small garages, with limited height.
http://reverberray.com/products/ld.html
Old 10-29-2006, 10:41 PM
11 Second Club

those are very nice, thats what we have at work. no smell at all. and, the way it works it will throw heat, but it will heat THINGS under it because it radiates the heat. but there expensive. how much did you pay for yours 618hawk? did you install it yourself? if not how much did that cost you? I have my garage plumbed with gas so I can add a wall furnace or one of those in the near future. the torpedo heater works well for me so Im in no hurry but soon just for the convenience of it and that I can hook it up to a thermostat will be nice.
my garage ceiling is 12' so maybe thats partialy why the fumes dont bother me much since they rise up.
Old 10-30-2006, 01:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MetallicaMatt
I was avoiding the torpedo type fuel heaters b/c of the smell and fumes

was told that it can get pretty bad

how much is kerosene these days?

The smell and fumes really isnt all that bad. They do burn alot cleaner than i figured they do. As long as you have some sort of adequate ventilation youll be fine. I wouldnt put in your bedroom and shut the door tho lol
Old 10-30-2006, 10:48 AM
TECH Junkie

cool thanks guys
Old 11-02-2006, 04:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Irocss85
those are very nice, thats what we have at work. no smell at all. and, the way it works it will throw heat, but it will heat THINGS under it because it radiates the heat. but there expensive. how much did you pay for yours 618hawk? did you install it yourself? if not how much did that cost you? I have my garage plumbed with gas so I can add a wall furnace or one of those in the near future. the torpedo heater works well for me so Im in no hurry but soon just for the convenience of it and that I can hook it up to a thermostat will be nice.
my garage ceiling is 12' so maybe thats partialy why the fumes dont bother me much since they rise up.
Yes it works great and very quite. I paid 1200. for it and its worth every cent. Went with a dual stage unit. Will run in low most of the time, then when a a door is opened if goes to Hi. for a while to warm things up.
Installed it myself. The unit I installed is for the home use and low ceilings. I only have a 9' ceiling and -4'' more for the drop ceiling and lights.

Last winter broke a sweat in the garage when it was below zero outside.
runs the full length of the garage as you can see.

I too looked at the other types of heaters, but did not want to put up with the noise and blowing air.
Here is a shot of mine on a 9' ceiling .
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y65...wk/nest001.jpg