User Support & Resources Account Problems | Questions | Suggestions

Experimental: Mobile LS1Tech

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 12:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Experimental: Mobile LS1Tech

So without permission (maybe they'll dock my pay, not sure ), I decided to load in a Mobile style. This is purely experimental, temporary, and may be canned at any moment.

If you hop on Tech with your Mobile, scroll down and select the Style from the drop down box at the bottom.

It's a low bandwidth, no frills, pretty much text only version of the site. You can read posts, reply to posts, make new posts, and handle your PM's (in the UserCP) with this style. It should be white and light blue with black text, stickies and announcements will be orange and yellow. If you see graphics, your mobile isn't compatible with the style... It does NOT work on all mobiles, only some. I don't know which, so it's up to you to try it and see if it works.

Post up if you do try it, if it does/doesn't work, and what mobile / OS / browser you might be using, so we can get an idea of what does and does not work.

I don't see it really cutting in to ad revenue, because it'd be pretty lame to browse with this style on a PC. It's like browsing with Lynx. You miss a lot of the site. I don't see a lot of people using it, unless they really just want to do it from their phone (I can see people using it to check PM's while on the road though, that'd be really handy, I've needed that a couple of times).

Now, for the big screaming disclaimer:

WARNING TO ANYONE TRYING THIS ON A PC!

Once you set your style to Mobile, there is no way to go back to the 'default' style unless you (a) have a second LS1Tech window open using the old style, leave it alone, and then when you're done, use that window to select a different non-Mobile style, and then use it again to select your original style - and close the Mobile window completely, or (b) log out / clear cookies / close browser, and then come back to the site and log back in.

This is apparently by design. Nothing I can do about that for now.

Mobile does not work on all portable devices, it depends on the browser. No guarantee, YMMV, no refunds, blah blah blah.

Props to phantomzer0 for helping me with this, and it's all his fault if the site goes down.
Old 11-13-2008, 12:37 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i love it. thanks for reading my thread. hopefully the owners woulnt freak out. and its so much faster!! i think alot more people then you would think are going to like this. the only thing is it takes me to the newest post on a thread instead of the first any reason why

Last edited by camaro-94-z28; 11-13-2008 at 12:45 PM.
Old 11-13-2008, 12:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

LS1Tech 10 Year

LS1Tech Mobile Is a great Idea!! I have been trying to get on the site with my Instinct but it is a pain to navigate in standard mode. Mobile has got my Vote!
Old 11-13-2008, 12:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

I'm going to have to look in to that 'newest post' thing, it's probably embedded in the style code somewhere, but I'll have to hunt & peck to find it. But it's at the top of the list of things to sort out.
Old 11-13-2008, 12:59 PM
Banned

its only doing it on my cell phone and not my school computer so it could be user error, so ive done some more messing around on the pc and it is doing it randomly.
Old 11-13-2008, 01:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the props andrew!!!!

The skin is pretty good for now. There might be a better skin out there, but for right now, the skin that's loaded is very fast and definitely a much better way to navigate the site on your phone.

There are some features that are lacking, like PMs and New Posts, but comon, at least you can view the site and get the tech you need on the go!

Remember, DO NOT LOAD THE SKIN ON YOUR DESKTOP BROWSER!!!!!!
Old 11-13-2008, 01:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

PM's are there. You just have to go in to UserCP, and then select "Private Messages". At least, it works on my PC that way.
Old 11-13-2008, 02:27 PM
TECH Resident

Im using my treo 700wx(crappy I know ) with window mobile 5 and its working flawlessly... thanks guys
Old 11-13-2008, 02:37 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Camaroholic
PM's are there. You just have to go in to UserCP, and then select "Private Messages". At least, it works on my PC that way.
Cool, even better!!!
Old 11-13-2008, 03:19 PM
hashtagBMW

Oh snaps, the iphone is l33t with mobile techz.
Old 11-13-2008, 03:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

How are the font sizes looking?

I've read some comments over on the VB site that the fonts may be a little large, and that by removing the hardcoded font sizes, we can let the browser defaults take care of it (which may be a bit on the small side, who knows ). If the font sizes are big, I can tweak that.
Old 11-13-2008, 03:30 PM
TECH Veteran

There's an iphone skin too.... but installing that depends on mobile use as a whole.
Old 11-13-2008, 03:35 PM
Banned

font sizes are fine on my phone. (using windows 5 on blackjack)
Old 11-13-2008, 03:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Looks good so far. Even though I never had any problems with my phone using Opera Mini as the browser
Old 11-14-2008, 10:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

FYI, I received a couple of reports from users over on SSU that somehow their default style got changed to Mobile, and they had no way to get out of it. I had to manually set them back to default style.

If this happens here, or continues to happen there, I'm going to remove the mobile styles.
Old 11-14-2008, 10:16 AM
FormerVendor

Works on my iPhone
Old 11-14-2008, 10:20 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Camaroholic
FYI, I received a couple of reports from users over on SSU that somehow their default style got changed to Mobile, and they had no way to get out of it. I had to manually set them back to default style.

If this happens here, or continues to happen there, I'm going to remove the mobile styles.
Agreed!
Old 11-15-2008, 01:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

I took a peek at it, and there's a pretty straight forward and easy way to make this a bit more seamless. Fieroholic and Fannymizer, I'll hit you guys up in a bit.
Old 11-15-2008, 01:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Brains
I took a peek at it, and there's a pretty straight forward and easy way to make this a bit more seamless. Fieroholic and Fannymizer, I'll hit you guys up in a bit.
wewt
Old 11-15-2008, 02:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

yay finally after so many times asking for this!! ^_^

i'm using ATT HTC8925 Tilt with Windows Mobile 6.1 on IE loads up GREAT! i would only suggest that those pictures at the top of the forum be removed too. other than that it's great

Quick Reply: Experimental: Mobile LS1Tech