User Support & Resources Account Problems | Questions | Suggestions

This would be great...

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 12:00 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default This would be great...

...If we could block certain people from posting in a thread we started.

It certainly would have kept me out of trouble in the past.

But recently I've been in a thread and things just get out of control, and more important, off the original subject.

Hell I'd even like the option to block myself from certain threads. Just one click and I could end the pissing match between me and another member.

Sort of like just walking away in real life.

Anyone see that happening? Maybe the next time the board gets updated. (I have no clue how that process works so that may be a dumb thought).
Old 01-05-2009, 07:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can add people to your Ignore List

User CP
- [Settings & Options]
-- Edit Ignore List

Blocks whoever is on your list. Whenever you come across one of the persons posts, it will still show the person has posted, just hides their post from you and gives you the option whether or not to view it. Blocking yourself from a thread is easy... just don't post in it.
Old 01-05-2009, 08:43 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by blindxeyed
You can add people to your Ignore List

User CP
- [Settings & Options]
-- Edit Ignore List

Blocks whoever is on your list. Whenever you come across one of the persons posts, it will still show the person has posted, just hides their post from you and gives you the option whether or not to view it. Blocking yourself from a thread is easy... just don't post in it.
Thats not exactly what I'm thinking.
I don't have anyone in peticular to add to my block user list.
This just refers to individual posts, like when one person just HAS TO prove their point because it differs from everyone elses. They never seem to give up and it usually ends up going way off topic. And I'm not sure if it's my imagination but they seem to look at my other posts and sometimes start trouble in those too.

And this can help everyone, in the past few days someone could have blocked me and it would have kept some bs out of their post, and same with me I could have blocked one person yesterday, it would have kept both examples from going off topic.

As far as just not posting, it's tough when someone is posting something you know is not correct info, you know if you say anything it might either make them better understand (which has happened) or **** them off which starts the arguing back and fourth problem.

If it doesn't go well and it pisses them off you can lock yourself out so you have no choice, you cannot post no matter how right you think you are, it would prevent any further problems.

Or even an additional option would be a moderator blocking a person out of one post only.
Old 01-05-2009, 08:58 PM
Rehab is for quitters...

Why don't you just exercise some self control? You need an option to keep yourself from posting useless **** or going off topic????

Here is an idea....DON'T POST. That works great! Let everyone else worry about themselves.

That way you don't have to go through any threads and delete all of your own useless replies...Yeah, we can see that.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:25 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by XtinctZ28
Why don't you just exercise some self control? You need an option to keep yourself from posting useless **** or going off topic????

Here is an idea....DON'T POST. That works great! Let everyone else worry about themselves.

That way you don't have to go through any threads and delete all of your own useless replies...Yeah, we can see that.
I know you can see the posts I delete. I've been told that a million times. Thats usually the point I say screw it and back out.

If a thread is useless, gets no replies, starts an arguement, etc. Why can't I delete it? Why is the option there? I delete these because they are useless. Doesn't it help anything?
Tell me then why is that option there?

I don't need an option to keep myself from going off topic no.
Say for example when I asked a question about an extension flexing and how a torque wrench setting can be effected by this. A guy came in and found out I was using a universal joint with it, and would not give up trying to argue with me telling me how wrong it was. Ok I got the point but then the whole thread turned into new peoples opinions about torque wrenches and universal joints. That guy ruined my thread. I can't say i'm innocent since I argued back.

Yup I deleted the thread and started over. That is an option we have and I took advantage of it.

I'm just trying to keep things positive. Sometimes it takes me a day to realize what I said didn't help anything, so I delete it. I've been told to stay out of other peoples threads, one guy told me that but he just didn't get my point. So I explained it again and he got it.

But it doesn't always work out that easy.

I was just thinking a button, like a block user in this thread only.

I realized I don't always look at user names. Theres one guy I got into a pissing match with in one thread and helped him out in another.
Thats what gave me the idea of a thread only user block.
It might even help the staff here who knows.

I've been given a stern warning, and I'm trying to stick to it.
This was just an idea, and I tried to give a few examples so others can get an idea of what I mean.
Old 01-06-2009, 10:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Isn't it ironic that this would be a thread that we would all block ourselves out of?

Seriously, you don't need a button to protect you. Just don't post. If you can't stop yourself from replying and getting into a pissing match, you probably can't force yourself to click the magic maturity button that you're asking for either. There is a little X up in the corner that does exactly what you're wanting, if clicking that one doesn't fix your problem, no other button will either.
Old 01-06-2009, 11:03 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by oneBADDz
Isn't it ironic that this would be a thread that we would all block ourselves out of?

Seriously, you don't need a button to protect you. Just don't post. If you can't stop yourself from replying and getting into a pissing match, you probably can't force yourself to click the magic maturity button that you're asking for either. There is a little X up in the corner that does exactly what you're wanting, if clicking that one doesn't fix your problem, no other button will either.
What about the people that come into your thread and keep posting off topic links and comments and the whole thread turns into something entirely different than the original topic.

I'm not saying I want a button to keep me from posting. I'm saying a temporary user block from my thread---you see someone not getting the point, posting stuff off topic, click the button, keep it on topic.
Whats so difficult to understand about that?
See you just read, but you only see what you want to see.

Quick Reply: This would be great...