User Support & Resources Account Problems | Questions | Suggestions

odd policy

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 06:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default odd policy

I just read the sticky concerning username changes (after wondering why I was being ignored) and I think that it is pretty sad that a few members acting like "rear ends" can force the rules to change for everyone else.
I have personally been nothing but polite, courteous, and as helpful as possible on this forum, but somthing like this, although trivial, really affects my attitude toward the forum, especially when you take into consideration that all three "other" forums I enjoy and support were happy to make the changes.
Guess I'll spend more time where I'm wanted, and purchase my performance parts (considerable) from their vendors
Old 04-28-2009, 07:16 PM
Deranged Rat Fink

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is your choice and I hate to see someone like yourself go. Considering the overwhelming number of users here plus as I am an admin , I can tell you we run our tails off to keep things running almost smoothly here , we just don't have the time to do all the things that individuals want us to do. It's not meant to be mean , I assure you...
Old 04-29-2009, 07:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I never understood what the big deal was to be honest with you. Not trying to stir the post and come off as disrespectful... But I just timed myself, and it took only 21 seconds to log into the admin control panel, type in a username, change it, and save it. It's very quick and easy to do. Maybe you admins can get together and discuss possibly offering it to seasoned members who have been here for years..? Consider it an incentive for sticking around for so long? Just an idea.
Old 04-30-2009, 12:46 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,687 Likes on 1,208 Posts

Originally Posted by blindxeyed
it took only 21 seconds to log into the admin control panel, type in a username, change it, and save it. It's very quick and easy to do.
You also need to consider the shear number of members though. 21 seconds times the 10s of thousands of active members, then divide by only 2 admins, and I'm sure you get the picture.

Yes, I did read your whole post recommending that we offer this only to long time members, etc. BUT, I can see this creating a great deal of drama. What is "long time"? To me, that's 3+ years. But I can see a problem there... we'll have newer members saying "I post twice as often as XXX does, yet I can't have a name change just because I've only been a member for 8 months!?", etc.

There is no way to make this fair without opening it to everyone, and that's too much work for such a busy site, IMO.

Of course, ultimately, it's up to the admins.
Old 04-30-2009, 01:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
You also need to consider the shear number of members though. 21 seconds times the 10s of thousands of active members, then divide by only 2 admins, and I'm sure you get the picture.

Yes, I did read your whole post recommending that we offer this only to long time members, etc. BUT, I can see this creating a great deal of drama. What is "long time"? To me, that's 3+ years. But I can see a problem there... we'll have newer members saying "I post twice as often as XXX does, yet I can't have a name change just because I've only been a member for 8 months!?", etc.

There is no way to make this fair without opening it to everyone, and that's too much work for such a busy site, IMO.

Of course, ultimately, it's up to the admins.
Good point, I thought about that as well. I just couldn't imagine so many people all wanting a name change at the same time. I only occasionally see threads pop up about name changes, doesn't seem like enough that it would really cause too much of a problem. But of course there could be more requests via PM that we're not aware of.

I also don't have any idea how a system could be laid that to offer name changes while being somewhat fair to others. But I see what you're getting at as far as people posting more than others getting upset over it. Maybe a 5,000 post or 5 year long membership lol. I was just trying to toss the original idea out there.

That's the main reason why I chose a username that doesn't have anything to do with my car. That way when the time comes that I may get a new car, I won't be upset about it. Maybe put a notice on the sign up page that LS1Tech recommends you choosing a username that isn't affiliated with the persons car, and make note that usernames are permanent and will not be changed if the person becomes unhappy with it? I'm sure the IB tech guys could easily whip something up like that.
Old 04-30-2009, 01:20 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,687 Likes on 1,208 Posts

That's the main reason why I chose a username that doesn't have anything to do with my car. That way when the time comes that I may get a new car, I won't be upset about it.
That's a wise decision. It's been almost 5 years since I sold the "WS6" that my name was chosen for. Wish I was thinking about that myself, back when I signed up in '01.

Maybe put a notice on the sign up page that LS1Tech recommends you choosing a username that isn't affiliated with the persons car, and make note that usernames are permanent and will not be changed if the person becomes unhappy with it? I'm sure the IB tech guys could easily whip something up like that.
Personally, I like that idea.
Old 04-30-2009, 08:08 AM
10 Second Club

How about adding a feature to the "user cp" that allows members to change their screen name themselves?
Old 04-30-2009, 09:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by BriancWS6
How about adding a feature to the "user cp" that allows members to change their screen name themselves?
That would be so incredibly confusing. There are some people here that would change their handle every post they make, just to be difficult, and because they can.

No one makes a person choose their handle, if they chose a handle they don't like, they can delete their account and start over. I know I will regret blackonblackta someday, but is what it is. If your post count and trader rating are so important that you can't delete your account and start over, then your you need to stay with that handle anyway. People know you by that handle, and that is your credibility. Handle switches are confusing, even if your trader rating and posts stay intact.

The other site let people change their handle, which is cool. I did it. But it is a new site with a new forum, but a lot of people were automatically signed up on that site, which wasn't fair if people wanted a different handle, I am guessing that is why they are letting people request changes.

The policy as is, is fine. You pick a handle, and it is yours. The end.
Old 04-30-2009, 02:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

It would be very simple. Offer a one-time optional name change occuring at say.... 3,000 posts.

Anyone compiling that many posts has been here a while and it is far to high for a newbie to just post ***** to death.

Take me for instance. I have been here since 06 and only have 1000 posts, and I try to post often. Aquiring 3000 posts is not a small task.

Also, consider the amount of money someone has spent if they have 3000 posts. I have spent well over $10,000 in parts (ALL Bought from sponsers)!!!!

I would never want to change my username... it has personal significance to me. However, I think a dead-nut rule stating (NO NAME CHANGES) is a little draconion.
Old 04-30-2009, 04:05 PM
Deranged Rat Fink

Some good ideas brought up here . I would think there should be one stipulation to this ; no unresolved iTrader complaints or current negative feedback. Let me discuss this with my fellows admins and see what we can do here .... I am listening to what you folks are saying here , believe it or not.... Fair enough?
Old 04-30-2009, 04:55 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by badjuju342
Some good ideas brought up here . I would think there should be one stipulation to this ; no unresolved iTrader complaints or current negative feedback. Let me discuss this with my fellows admins and see what we can do here .... I am listening to what you folks are saying here , believe it or not.... Fair enough?
Absolutely.

FWIW, I never really had thoughts of changing mine, still suits me just fine. But since it was being talked about, I figured I'd throw in my idea.
Old 04-30-2009, 05:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by badjuju342
Thanks. I don't wish to change mine either, and I don't wish to be on a board where members are changing their names more often than a vegas stripper.

However, a 1-time milestone (post count/time) opportunity to change your name might be worth looking into.
Old 04-30-2009, 09:22 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by BlackonBlackTA
That would be so incredibly confusing. There are some people here that would change their handle every post they make, just to be difficult, and because they can.

No one makes a person choose their handle, if they chose a handle they don't like, they can delete their account and start over. I know I will regret blackonblackta someday, but is what it is. If your post count and trader rating are so important that you can't delete your account and start over, then your you need to stay with that handle anyway. People know you by that handle, and that is your credibility. Handle switches are confusing, even if your trader rating and posts stay intact.

The other site let people change their handle, which is cool. I did it. But it is a new site with a new forum, but a lot of people were automatically signed up on that site, which wasn't fair if people wanted a different handle, I am guessing that is why they are letting people request changes.

The policy as is, is fine. You pick a handle, and it is yours. The end.
I'm not complaining about the current policy. My screen name suits me just fine. For the people wanting to change theirs however, my suggestion seems like a likely idea.

Maybe incorporate where the user has the ability to change their own name, but can only change it every 6 months or something to that effect.
Old 04-30-2009, 10:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

With as many people as there are on this site it would take all the admis time just doing name changes very time someon bout a new car, did a new mod, went faster at the track, etc...
I see no problem with the policy personally.
Old 05-01-2009, 08:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

I'm not complaining about the current policy. My screen name suits me just fine. For the people wanting to change theirs however, my suggestion seems like a likely idea.

Maybe incorporate where the user has the ability to change their own name, but can only change it every 6 months or something to that effect.
I just find a handle to be much like a first name. A unique identifier. I may not know someone's first name, but I know their handle. Once you know someone by a handle, it is hard to remember who switched to what.

ie. If I want to ask a question about oil, I need to talk to Patman, errrr but he switched his handle to... ummm.... crap I can't remember. So now I have to started a worthless thread asking about oil, and what Patman's new handle is to get a hold of him. (just a stupid example that I came up with)

But I guess if there was a policy for a name change, I would probably go for something with a lot of riders on it. Not so much post count, but length of stay. Some longtime members may not have a huge post count, but doesn't mean they aren't active. Badjuju's idea of no neg. trader feedback, and no outstanding trades is a must. A lot of consideration needs to be put in, before anything happens.
Old 05-01-2009, 08:09 AM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I think you guys are overlooking the whole scammer scenario too...

I could make fraudulent transactions under 'unit213' then just change my name to
'01WS6TA' and people wouldn't know that I have scammed people before since
traceability would be gone. Granted, there are loopholes there...but still.
Old 05-01-2009, 02:22 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by BlackonBlackTA
I just find a handle to be much like a first name. A unique identifier. I may not know someone's first name, but I know their handle. Once you know someone by a handle, it is hard to remember who switched to what.

ie. If I want to ask a question about oil, I need to talk to Patman, errrr but he switched his handle to... ummm.... crap I can't remember. So now I have to started a worthless thread asking about oil, and what Patman's new handle is to get a hold of him. (just a stupid example that I came up with)

But I guess if there was a policy for a name change, I would probably go for something with a lot of riders on it. Not so much post count, but length of stay. Some longtime members may not have a huge post count, but doesn't mean they aren't active. Badjuju's idea of no neg. trader feedback, and no outstanding trades is a must. A lot of consideration needs to be put in, before anything happens.
Why do you keep quoting ME, pleading your case like all this was MY idea and I'm fighting to see it happen?

Like I said, I don't even care, but gave an idea on HOW it COULD be done if they considered it.

You can aim your posts toward the OP, or others that are complaining about the policy. Thank you
Old 05-01-2009, 02:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Why do you keep quoting ME,
I'll get you some Johnson Baby Shampoo, so you can have no more tears.

We are on a forum, discussing something. People are going to get quoted. Please don't lose sleep over it. You had an idea, I responded to your idea, you responded to my response... so on and so forth. FWIW I don't care what happens in the situation, I just am giving my opinion, much like you are. So, I guess I don't see what your problem is.
Old 05-01-2009, 02:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by unit213
I think you guys are overlooking the whole scammer scenario too...

I could make fraudulent transactions under 'unit213' then just change my name to
'01WS6TA' and people wouldn't know that I have scammed people before since
traceability would be gone. Granted, there are loopholes there...but still.
I am quoting you Unit, please don't get bent out of shape. You bring up an excellent point sir. One of the reasons I believe we shouldn't be able to change handles.
Old 05-01-2009, 05:08 PM
Deranged Rat Fink

Looks like a no go on this anyway. submitted the idea for a vote and the consensus was no for the reasons listed in other posts here.

Quick Reply: odd policy