User Support & Resources Account Problems | Questions | Suggestions

OK IB got a problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 06:36 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default OK IB got a problem

Ok, I have been a member on here for 5yrs now & never had this problem before you guys bought the board & started whoring it out for damn advertisements. I have picked up a virus 2 damn days in a row while viewing this site. Thank god I have enough virus protection it caught it.

I never had this problem with the site before all these damn non automotive related advertisements. There is **** tryin to pop up & its getting old. I can understand wanting to get more cash flow by selling advertisement slots but at some point you either gotta start screening this **** better or your gonna ruin this site.

I come here for car technical info & car related things, not to see pop-ups for stupid games & non-automotive products. Its getting old fast & I know I'm not the only member that feels this way.
Old 08-31-2010, 02:23 PM
IB Staff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Mike,

You should never see pop up ads on LS1Tech. if you do, please copy the click through URL and send it to me for removal.

I can also assure you that there is no way that virus are being inserted into our site via advertisements. I would suggest that you received a false positive from your virus program.

cheers,
robb
Old 08-31-2010, 03:27 PM
12 Second Club

I had to go in & change my security settings which I have NEVER had to do before. Now the pop-ups are blocked but I still recieve a little yellow drop down prompting me to allow it to open which I refuse every time. So I assure you there are pop-ups goin around.

Again I have been a member on here for a long time now & never had this issue until recently. And no, I did not get a false negative. I had to take my tower in yesterday to have the virus removed & then when I logged on today this was the first site I went to & not even 5 minutes after logging on I got auto re-directed to some other page offering virus protection when I tried to go from a thread back to the main forum. I immediately close my internet & ran Microsoft Security Essentials & it caught & removed the virus.

I can tell you is got a name tagged into it like Win32 or some crap & it will try to get you to download a virus protection that looks legit but if you do your tower is complete garbage after. The hard drive will need wiped to get rid of it. The computer tech that fixed my tower told me its a radical virus that been goin around alot recently. Very hard to keep it out even with virus protection in place & working.

I never had this kinda problem at all before all these stupid non-automotive ads started showing up on here.
Old 08-31-2010, 08:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

That actually sounds like a common virus that was going around my office recently. It was a real pain in the *** to get rid of it, and some computer places may not do it correctly, as it does come back after a period of being online. Here is what I did to remove the "you need to buy this virus scan" virus:

1. Download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.
2. Download R.Kill.
3. Install Malwarebytes and update the program.
4. Restart your computer in safe mode, and disconnect your internet connection.
5. Run Malwarebytes full system scan. Remove everything that it has issue with.
6. Run R.Kill. That should kill anything else.
7. Restart in normal mode, and you should be clean.

I run Malwarebytes on my computer at least once a month, and I use AVG Free for my antivirus, and I have no problems. I also use Firefox with Ad Block Plus, and I block anything I don't want to see (I don't block the sponsors though ).

Hopefully that helps.
Old 09-01-2010, 06:19 AM
12 Second Club

Yea, I currently run these three things:

Microsoft Security Essentials
Malwarebytes Anti-malware
CCleaner

I run a full scan every Sunday & run a virus update twice a week. Since changing my security settings I have been able to block the pop-ups. But they are still happening cause I'm still getting the drop downs.
Old 09-01-2010, 07:23 AM
IB Staff

Mike, if this is coming from a rogue advertisement, we have not been able to track it down. The quickest way, is if you get a page that throws a warning for you again, please right click on the banner ads, copy the 'destination URL' and paste it in here for me. I am still doubtful this is happening, but I want to work through with you and figure it out!

cheers,
robb
Old 09-01-2010, 02:20 PM
12 Second Club

Man I just spent all morning after posting above cleanin my tower again. I had to use a co-workers computer to download that "rkills" program. Had to run thru the system in safe mode & again in my normal desktop. Finally got it running again.

It appears this virus is goin around alot & is pretty damn hard to stop. It stops all programs that require a ".exe" from starting. So basically everything. Once it infects you your screwed for a while at least. Even worse if you dont know any better. I also discovered after some more talkin with a computer tech that this virus is so hard to stop b/c it can replicate & hide pieces inside other programs. Its also acting as a proxy so if your infected the longer you stay on the internet the worse the virus hits your computer.

I'm no computer guy so this stuff is still confusing me. I'm learning as I go. But I can say I got a yellow pop-up blocker drop down as soon as I signed back in to check this thread. I'm wary of right clicking & saving anything at this point but the next time I get one I'll print screen to my wordpad or something & send you a copy of that to your email.

Right now I'm praying this last round & updates keeps me good. But this is the third time this year alone that this virus has got to me.

My best advise to ANYONE reading this is if you ever encounter being redirected to a "Virus protection" program with a shield that looks legit, immediately log off & start cleaning your computer with Malware & Virus cleaning programs you already have in place. This virus is a nasty little bastard & hard as hell to get rid off completely.
Old 09-01-2010, 04:24 PM
12 Second Club

Here is what Microsoft security lists them as.....

Adware:Win32/DoubleD
Rogue:Win32/FakeSpypro
Trojan:Win32/Alureon.EC
Virus:Win32/Alureon.H

Malwarebytes' list them as effecting Registry keys, values & data items. Mostly asosiated with the "HKEY" and here are the flags....

Adware.PopCap
Trojan.FakeAlert.Gen
Trojan.DNSChanger
Adware.DoubleD

Hopefully this helps anyone curious & gives you something to watch out for or look for on clean-up.
Old 09-01-2010, 05:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Never had this problem.....its all clean on my end
Old 09-01-2010, 07:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey, Mike, would you be comfortable with wiping your computer? It sounds like that may be the quickest and surest way to do fix the problem.
Old 09-02-2010, 06:14 AM
12 Second Club

I'm tryin to avoid wiping the hard drive at all costs. This is my work station and I'd lose alot of settings in Autocad & other programs I use.

So far so good. The little yellow drop downs are still comming but its weird. They only try to drop down when I'm first opening a page or after I click to go to a different page. And they arent staying up there, they are popping up & then disappearing so fast I havent been able to catch one to check it. So I'm not sure what the heck its tryin to do.

Does anyone else have this green tab in the top & bottom advertisement labeled "clicksor"? That little SOB will float down in the middle of my screen if I accidently float over it with my mouse.
Old 09-02-2010, 12:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just thought Id post this in here. no need for a new thread, but I did get a warning from chrome

The website at www.ls1tech.com contains elements from the site www.mainstreamtopics.com, which appears to host malware – software that can hurt your computer or otherwise operate without your consent. Just visiting a site that contains malware can infect your computer.
Old 09-02-2010, 02:20 PM
12 Second Club

^^Hmmm, now thats interesting
Old 09-02-2010, 03:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Dang, I got that **** too about three weeks ago. Wasn't sure what website I got it from though. I got infected by antivir virus protection. What a bitch to get rid of. It actually shut down my computer when I tried to run malwarebytes in safe mode. I just went out and bought a new laptop. Ugh.
Old 09-02-2010, 03:40 PM
12 Second Club

I'm honestly starting to think this virus piggybacked in on advertisements. In order to run advertisements sometimes Adware is used. Adware is not always bad but it can be bad when people start slipping viruses into the ads. Then if your security settings are set to allow pop-ups/advertisements from a particular site it can slip on in.

Hence my questioning all these non-automotive ads on here now.
Old 09-03-2010, 08:51 AM
IB Staff

the ads are all powered by the same services, automotive or otherwise.

that being said, i am really sorry if you did indeed get something from visiting this site. we are doing all we can, but so far, have not turned up much, other than it might be related to a Chrysler ad campaign.