User Support & Resources Account Problems | Questions | Suggestions

pms missing

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 09:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Default pms missing

i'm missing pms that i have sent and recieved, i know i did not delete them since i need the buyers contact info but i now don't have his last pm with his number . . . whats goin on here?
Old 01-20-2011, 11:23 PM

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Honestly, if you have some missing PMs it's most likely that you, or someone who has access to your account, may have deleted them. Once they are deleted, they are gone.

While Administration can mass delete PMs (which is done for spam), singly deleting PMs is not possible. So for you to be missing some sent and received would not appear to be due to Administration.

If your PMs were missing due to a database issue, you would likely not be the only person. At this moment, I'm not aware of any events or reports to suspect this is the case.
Old 01-21-2011, 12:29 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by JeremyT
Honestly, if you have some missing PMs it's most likely that you, or someone who has access to your account, may have deleted them. Once they are deleted, they are gone.

While Administration can mass delete PMs (which is done for spam), singly deleting PMs is not possible. So for you to be missing some sent and received would not appear to be due to Administration.

If your PMs were missing due to a database issue, you would likely not be the only person. At this moment, I'm not aware of any events or reports to suspect this is the case.
nobody has access to my account and i can assure you i did not delete. i'm not blaming admin for goin through my inbox and outbox and deleting PM's, i do find it odd that the only pm's that are missing are to the one guy who wants to buy headers. i'll lean towards you guys have a database issue, you've had many in the past we all know this.
Old 01-21-2011, 12:34 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wish my wife was missing pms.
Old 01-21-2011, 12:57 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by swift700
hahahahaha
Old 01-21-2011, 10:32 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by swift700
haha same here!
Old 01-21-2011, 04:14 PM

If a member was doing business under the table that violates forum rules, and the staff became aware of it, the account may have been moderated. You'll have to take that up with Administration. This could explain you missing received PMs from this member, if they sent you messages, but you still should have copies of sent PMs in your outbox that you've sent. As I mentioned, Admins cannot singly delete specific PMs per account. They can, through the AdminCP, mass delete sent messages from a specific user or all messages for a user. This is done for Spam control and is part of the software. But they cannot just go into an account and selectively wipe out certain messages.

Yes, database issues (specifically connections) occur from time to time but data loss is not as common and there are measures in place to prevent that. I think this is more of a moderation issue than a database issue. If it were a database issue, it would most likely not be limited to a few select PMs, especially for a specific user.

What is the user name of the account in question? You can PM the details, if you prefer.

Originally Posted by King Nothing
nobody has access to my account and i can assure you i did not delete. i'm not blaming admin for goin through my inbox and outbox and deleting PM's, i do find it odd that the only pm's that are missing are to the one guy who wants to buy headers. i'll lean towards you guys have a database issue, you've had many in the past we all know this.
Old 01-21-2011, 06:22 PM
TECH Veteran

If a member was doing business under the table that violates forum rules, and the staff became aware of it, the account may have been moderated. You'll have to take that up with Administration. This could explain you missing received PMs from this member, if they sent you messages, but you still should have copies of sent PMs in your outbox that you've sent. As I mentioned, Admins cannot singly delete specific PMs per account. They can, through the AdminCP, mass delete sent messages from a specific user or all messages for a user. This is done for Spam control and is part of the software. But they cannot just go into an account and selectively wipe out certain messages.

Yes, database issues (specifically connections) occur from time to time but data loss is not as common and there are measures in place to prevent that. I think this is more of a moderation issue than a database issue. If it were a database issue, it would most likely not be limited to a few select PMs, especially for a specific user.

What is the user name of the account in question? You can PM the details, if you prefer.
i don't think he was doin business under the table, all he was doin was buyin headers from me. i was selling parts for a buddy of mine which i recieved a pm for tellin me that is against the rules so of course i didn't post another thread tryin to sell the parts. his username is N2DP2QT and i only have one received pm now from him but all the others are gone. unless someone hacked my account, i'm lost as to what happened. hopefully he responds to me
Old 01-21-2011, 06:49 PM

I checked the account and I see no evidence of it being altered. The AdminCP shows figures for quantity of messages in Inbox and Sent folders and it shows dozens. He also shows as a regular account. Therefore, there is no indication that Administration has deleted his PMs due to abuse.

At this stage, I suspect it's with your own account. Either you accidentally deleted them with others, or someone has access to your account. You can easily, and mistakenly, mass delete messages either via the Check/Uncheck All "switch" at the top of each page of your PMs, or if you've singly checked multiple ones.
Old 01-21-2011, 06:51 PM
Launching!

CIA
Old 01-21-2011, 07:01 PM
TECH Veteran

I checked the account and I see no evidence of it being altered. The AdminCP shows figures for quantity of messages in Inbox and Sent folders and it shows dozens. He also shows as a regular account. Therefore, there is no indication that Administration has deleted his PMs due to abuse.

At this stage, I suspect it's with your own account. Either you accidentally deleted them with others, or someone has access to your account. You can easily, and mistakenly, mass delete messages either via the Check/Uncheck All "switch" at the top of each page of your PMs, or if you've singly checked multiple ones.
i think it's time for a password change i'm not sure why someone would want to hack my account but oh well. thanks for lookin into it, you can lock this whenever you're ready

Quick Reply: pms missing