Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 10:25 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same problem here. May be due to our low post count
Old 05-09-2011, 10:28 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got a message from one of the site admins today -- no access to PMs or classifieds until you reach 50 posts or 6 months on the site. Seems strange, but that's what I was told...
Old 05-10-2011, 01:56 AM
Teching In

Default User problems

Why was there not any heads up for the pm's to be taken away if you have less the 50 post or 6 months?

I'm assuming this is the case from what i could find. There is very limited info on the topic since there seems to be no official post on the matter.

I understood that rule applying to the classifieds to deter scammers and such, but for a very basic forum necessity such as pm'ing to be taken away till a requirement is meet seems a bit much.

Taking away the ability to pm leads to users not being able to messages admins when issues surface, but instead they will now have to start new threads to try and find help in a very roundabout frustrating way.

It seems like this will cause more problems than good and would result in turning fledgling users away from the forum all together.

Any input and info would be much welcome on the matter.
Old 05-10-2011, 01:57 AM
Teching In

Oh I just figured this out.
If you want to view you old private messages you can still go to quick links tab and private messaging is listed near the bottom.

Still cant pm but at least you can see your old messages.
Old 05-10-2011, 02:19 AM
TECH Addict

If a new user is having trouble getting PMs because they need to contact a mod or PM another member for something other then selling or buying something then I feel bad for them. But the fact is 90% of the people bitching about not being able to PM fully admit that its because they cannot override the 50 post/ 6 month rule to contact a buyer or seller to buy/sell something and have no other way to contact them. This site is a information site first with the benefit of being able to sell/buy things with other members second not the other way around. Myself along with many other members waited the 6 month/ 50 post time to use the classifieds I just don't see why people can't grasp the concept.
Old 05-10-2011, 02:46 AM
Teching In

I agree with what you stated.

I can easily see where people would use the pm system to try and get around the 50 post or 6 month policy, since it is a bit of a steep policy from what other forums I'm a part of have in place.

It still stands that the members should have been notified of the change to private messaging.

The forum is a great place for info and is why i joined recently to expand my knowledge of ls based engine tech with my upcoming build of dropping a ls6 and a t56 in my 93 rx7.

I understand the 50 post or 6 month policy for the classifieds.
Its a nice secondary feature for active contributing members to buy/sell/trade their items.

Quick Reply: Private Messaging issue?