User Support & Resources Account Problems | Questions | Suggestions

Becoming a Mod / suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2005, 06:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Question Becoming a Mod / suggestions

What are the qualifications for becoming a Tech moderator? I have a fairly decent knowledge of Fbodys and LS1's. I don't have any bad blood on this site either I'm on this site all to often, work and home. Any areas need some help let me know I'm your man!

----

What's the reason for the 30 second search limit? We encourage the search button but I don't always find what I'm looking for in the first few tries and it takes forever waiting for the search function to come back. Another suggestion is the online activity limit. I think its around 10 mins. Seems if I read a really long thread or walk away for a few mins I loose my read/unread thread count.
Old 03-11-2005, 06:41 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please send me $50 paypal and youre in!

Thanks

Seriously though, its based on time spent in certain areas and knowledge about a perticular forum.
Old 03-11-2005, 09:13 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,099 Likes on 721 Posts

You have to be one of my cousins.

j/k

Based on activity, maturity, and experience in a given area.
Old 03-11-2005, 09:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

You've got a big *** family there John!

Being a mod isn't all fun and games. As much time as I spend on this site, I'm not even a mod and I even catch some things for them...it takes a good bit of work depending on what forum you have responsibilities on.
Old 03-12-2005, 12:10 AM
ACW
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What's the reason for the 30 second search limit? We encourage the search button but I don't always find what I'm looking for in the first few tries and it takes forever waiting for the search function to come back.
A tremendous amount of people visit this site and search for stuff, and it slows the server down too much if they can search more frequently than that.

Another suggestion is the online activity limit. I think its around 10 mins. Seems if I read a really long thread or walk away for a few mins I loose my read/unread thread count.
Do you say 'keep me logged in' when you sign on? You can still click the 'Log Out' link if you need to after doing that (like if you use a public computer), but it shouldn't automatically time out on you anymore.
Old 03-12-2005, 05:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ACW

Do you say 'keep me logged in' when you sign on? You can still click the 'Log Out' link if you need to after doing that (like if you use a public computer), but it shouldn't automatically time out on you anymore.

I keep it logged in, its not a log in issue. if i'm inactive for about 10 mins it will clear my unread post and mark everything read. No biggie, just thought I could change the settings.

Last edited by SmokingWS6; 03-12-2005 at 05:14 PM.
Old 03-12-2005, 06:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by SmokingWS6
What are the qualifications for becoming a Tech moderator? I have a fairly decent knowledge of Fbodys and LS1's. I don't have any bad blood on this site either I'm on this site all to often, work and home. Any areas need some help let me know I'm your man!

----

What's the reason for the 30 second search limit? We encourage the search button but I don't always find what I'm looking for in the first few tries and it takes forever waiting for the search function to come back. Another suggestion is the online activity limit. I think its around 10 mins. Seems if I read a really long thread or walk away for a few mins I loose my read/unread thread count.

Why do you want to become a mod?
Old 03-13-2005, 01:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2MuchRiceMakesMeSick

Why do you want to become a mod?

No particular reason, always looking for something extra to do, especially while at work

btw, your electron blue zo6 looks Mean! My dad has been looking at some red ones, can't get him to check out the blue though
Old 03-13-2005, 02:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

i mod three sections... i have worked at a site sponsor, and have been working on these cars doing 4 motor swaps and things in my own driveway for 4 years now..

just like PSJ said, your activity, maturity, and experience....

let me tell you know though, you start getting some crazy IM's and PM's from people when the name goes green

i probably get 10 plus a day.. EASY
Old 03-13-2005, 03:30 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BigBronco
i
i probably get 10 plus a day.. EASY
Try having a '03 Cobra here. Whew...
Old 03-13-2005, 03:53 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

trust me, you dont want to know :umm:

Old 03-13-2005, 04:10 PM
NKAWTG...N

sean has his collection of ls1tech stalkers to
Old 03-13-2005, 06:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Stalkers eh... As long as they are women who can complain
Then again who ever had an attractive stalker?

I hope you get more PM space as a mod, its bad enough with a blue name

Unit, I'm sure you've heard every derogatory mustang phrase on this site... lol.
Old 03-13-2005, 06:41 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SmokingWS6

Unit, I'm sure you've heard every derogatory mustang phrase on this site... lol.
...and some. Mostly from newbies who just see a Ford in my sig. They don't know that I'm a LS1 guy in sheeps clothing.
Old 03-14-2005, 08:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by unit213
...and some. Mostly from newbies who just see a Ford in my sig. They don't know that I'm a LS1 guy in sheeps clothing.
AHH I'm glad to know that your all LS1 deep down inside. Even though you have a ford (J/K) You are a good info source about the competition.
Old 03-14-2005, 10:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Try having a '03 Cobra here. Whew...

how many crap talkers have you smacked around, about 50,000?
Old 03-14-2005, 11:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

That Mean looking cobra's more like a wolf's clothing.
Old 03-14-2005, 11:46 AM
Deranged Rat Fink

This is one of the few forums that I'm not a mod or admin at and it's why I quit joining different forums, they kept putting me in charge of stuff!

*EDIT* please disregard previous statement*Now I'm a mod here too!

Last edited by badjuju342; 03-31-2005 at 09:11 AM.
Old 03-14-2005, 12:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

I dont know, I dont think I'd want to be a mod....unless I wasnt the only one moding a forum. Not enough time. But I do catch stuff here and there...especialy stuff posted in the wrong forums lol.

I'd do it if it was like a part-time kinda thing...I barely have enough time to read/talk about all the things I want to..even though Im on here like 3 hours a day lol.
Old 03-14-2005, 12:45 PM
Deranged Rat Fink

The one thing you really have to do when moderating is keep a cool head, you can't let yourself get too wrapped up in it. If I run across a situation , I step back and give it some thought before taking action unless it is just in blatant need of immediate intervention. I also give someone a second chance before banning them (unless I see no other alternative). A good moderator is there to be helpful, keep the peace, and needs to consider themselves a representative of that particular website, i.e it's not their personal playground to play god. You treat people the way you want to treated and I will say LS1tech has some excellent mods in that respect.I've never seen a mod here abuse his/her authority and they ALL do a good job. There's no joy in banning someone to me and it really bothers me when I have to do that. I personally would consider it a great honor to be a mod here and maybe someday ,I'll make it.

Quick Reply: Becoming a Mod / suggestions