User Support & Resources Account Problems | Questions | Suggestions

Censorship?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2005, 07:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Censorship?

If this is the wrong forum, feel free to move it.

Well, let me hit a couple high points....

I don't own the web site. But look at it like this - I have a 5 year old, and anyone that visits my house just is not going to stick an adult movie in my dvd player.

The web site isn't just a hangout - it's also a business. It costs money to make this happen. Someone has to pay for it - most of us can figure out who that is.

We get to use this site for free. In order for the owner to keep us coming back he has to maintain a "pleasant" environment. If it isn't fun or useful, people won't do it.

The sponsors get their ad money back because many of us (I haven't yet, but I've got a list) spend LOTS of money with those same sponsors - and it helps the sponsors even more when they are also posters here.

Now the censorship part - it's a generic filter. There are several words that I don't hear on my tv because of censorship. And certain anatomical features that aren't shown on my tv because of censorship. And that is fine. (I have a 5 year old, remember?)

Ok - here's my point (finally): If I post a link to (insert sponsor - MTI, HPE, whatever) in a thread, it's all cozy. However, if I post a link to shops that aren't sponsors, they are censored - a certain exhaust shop comes to mind, among others. At the same time, I don't see AutoZone or BF Goodrich or discount Tire in the sponsor list, but they don't get censored.

My question - why censor a shop link?
Old 03-31-2005, 11:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 01ArcticSS
If this is the wrong forum, feel free to move it.

Well, let me hit a couple high points....

I don't own the web site. But look at it like this - I have a 5 year old, and anyone that visits my house just is not going to stick an adult movie in my dvd player.

The web site isn't just a hangout - it's also a business. It costs money to make this happen. Someone has to pay for it - most of us can figure out who that is.

We get to use this site for free. In order for the owner to keep us coming back he has to maintain a "pleasant" environment. If it isn't fun or useful, people won't do it.

The sponsors get their ad money back because many of us (I haven't yet, but I've got a list) spend LOTS of money with those same sponsors - and it helps the sponsors even more when they are also posters here.

Now the censorship part - it's a generic filter. There are several words that I don't hear on my tv because of censorship. And certain anatomical features that aren't shown on my tv because of censorship. And that is fine. (I have a 5 year old, remember?)

Ok - here's my point (finally): If I post a link to (insert sponsor - MTI, HPE, whatever) in a thread, it's all cozy. However, if I post a link to shops that aren't sponsors, they are censored - a certain exhaust shop comes to mind, among others. At the same time, I don't see AutoZone or BF Goodrich or discount Tire in the sponsor list, but they don't get censored.

My question - why censor a shop link?
ive linked to a few people that arent sponsors and they werent messed with.
Old 04-01-2005, 12:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Linking to to non-sponsor's websites is frowned upon because you are potentially diverting business from paying sponsors who contribute monetarily to this site for advertising purposes. One of the perks is the slight squashing of some competition due to these policies. The great products are well known regardless, such as the exhaust shop *cough* near my house that you alluded to.

What qualifies a link to be removed is really when there is a credible sponsor in good standing that already provides the product or service in question. Hence why Autozone links don't get deleted....until O'Reily's or NAPA sponsor's the board
Old 04-01-2005, 02:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

im always linking up to brent frankers webpage, he does some awesome fbody vinyl.
Old 04-01-2005, 03:09 AM
Deranged Rat Fink

We have some great sponsors here with some very competitive pricing. They support this site and keep it going. They also contribute purse money for sponsored races.That's giving a heck of a lot so you can access this site for free and get some very valuable knowledge, ideas shared , and product comparisions that allow you to spend your hard earned bucks more wisely and end up with a car that you feel great about.And if you notice , the admins here will remove a sponsorship if their product quality or customer service is not on par with what you board members deserve. Shouldn't you support the vendors and shops that give this to you? Is it fair to them to allow non-sponsors to take away from their business on something they're paying for? I buy from an LS1tech sponsor every chance I get , even if it means spending a few more dollars. In the past , I have posted about a product from a non-sponsor but only if it wasn't available from one of our sponsors here.

Think about this, what if this site disappeared tommorrow ? Where would you go? Would you get what you get here? 'Nuff said.
Old 04-01-2005, 04:51 AM
Launching!

Well put BJ342 (please excuse the abbreviation)!
Old 04-01-2005, 09:54 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,089 Likes on 717 Posts

It depends.

In some cases, some non-sponsor shops are posting links to themselves or having customers and buddies post links to them. It's a light form of spamming. In a number of cases, we have probably talked to that shop.

For example, if you are talking about Lane's Automotive, I have talked to him in email and on the phone about five times since 2001. Our pricing is so fair and the results so impressive that it's really a no brainer for someone like that to advertise on here.

Another point... We do what we can to help steer folks away from problem shops and bad traders. We can do that by developing relationships with sponsors and on a rare occasion, warning them about complaints we have received. In a few cases we have dropped companies for being too problematic.

I think I am known as the admin who will pick up the phone and call a shop if there is a problem. I don't do that for non-sponsors.
Old 04-01-2005, 01:47 PM
TECH Addict

PSJ is the man
Old 04-01-2005, 01:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
I think I am known as the admin who will pick up the phone and call a shop if there is a problem. I don't do that for non-sponsors.
I don't think anyone will refute that. You've definitely always been there for members who have been shafted by sponsors or other members, thats something I've always liked about this site.

Lane is Lane....lol. I don't really know what to say about him except that he does great work. I've spoken to him about advertising on here as well. I wish he would, then I could comment more about his work! Until then, I'll leave it at that
Old 04-01-2005, 02:49 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've dropped $3500 on sponsors from this site and actually feel good about it. There is enough feedback available here to make a secure decision. I applaud the site for taking some responsibility as to who they let sell here. Websites and servers aren’t free and neither is bandwidth. It has to be paid for by someone and this is a free site for membership. If x shop wants to get with the program I'm sure the site owners would be more than happy to work with him, as already stated. I say keep up the good work and thank you.
Old 04-01-2005, 08:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I hope nobody took my original post wrong. I was just curious what responses I would get.

A lot of the points you guys brought up are excellent ones, too. I've seen posts about sponsors getting removed, and all the feedback on sponsors, and I've seen all the sponsors that are also regular posters here.

At the same time I've seen lots of "non sponsors" that are also regular contributors.

My "high points" pretty much covers it - you gotta pay to play, to be blunt.

Personally, I think this site rocks. As far as I know there isn't a better source of info for us people (I almost said "guys" but there are girls here that know more about cars that a lot of guys!!)

Thanks for the responses!

Oh, BTW, this is one of my favorites:

Oil leak?What oil leak? That's just sweat from all that horsepower!

This is another:

"Going to war without France is like going deer hunting without your accordion." --- Norman Schwartzkopf

Quick Reply: Censorship?