User Support & Resources Account Problems | Questions | Suggestions

fbody how to site?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 09:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ill work on a mock up and see if you guys like it. any thoughts on what the URL should be
Old 04-14-2008, 01:06 AM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the idea. DO ITTTTT!!!
Old 04-14-2008, 01:32 AM
Teching In

hey ultra... i was always wondering what's the difference between an ultra z and the ss and the z28? i know the hood and all that stuff. but what's the hp and performance difference?
Old 04-14-2008, 03:18 AM
TECH Veteran

Hope you all keep some good information on this rolling in, if there is any way to refine it down I'd like to see it happen as well.
Seems some of the old tech posts were lost when switching to this version of vbb but there is new stuff coming out too. We are going to need to see write ups, how to and online non-proprietary links added for it to really be of use.
Old 04-14-2008, 03:44 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by xBROKEx
i know theres alot of info out there scattered over several sites but it would be nice to get them all in one place where people can submit there own, host the pictures there so the never turn into red x's and vote on what writeups are good
http://www.myls1.com/index.php?pageid=installguides

I have been working on that section and Im almost done, hell I put tons of stuff on there, but that link is where you submitt yours and will go to a main Install Guide wich Im working on

Last edited by Christian8A; 06-08-2008 at 10:33 PM.
Old 04-14-2008, 07:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

No permission.

Last edited by 67rsss; 04-24-2008 at 12:23 PM.
Old 04-14-2008, 07:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i think the idea is perfect, im sure it will get more use than the search button on here...
Old 04-14-2008, 10:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Christian8A
Install guides at removed

I have been working on that section and Im almost done, hell I put tons of stuff on there, but that link is where you submitt yours and will go to a main Install Guide wich Im working on

yeah thats kinda what i was thinking of doing

Last edited by Nine Ball; 04-14-2008 at 09:38 PM.
Old 04-14-2008, 06:54 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BadA$$98Z28
hey ultra... i was always wondering what's the difference between an ultra z and the ss and the z28? i know the hood and all that stuff. but what's the hp and performance difference?
from what i understand its just the appearance package.

i only go by that name cause i got the hood and thats what everone calls my car. ill find out tho
Old 04-14-2008, 08:34 PM
TECH Veteran

I used to operate a forum for car related faqs but nobody really every came there so I just dumped it. I still own the domain so if there is enough interest maybe I can relaunch it or something.

Last edited by phantomzer0; 04-15-2008 at 11:55 AM.
Old 04-14-2008, 09:39 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

Guys, please get permission with us before posting links to other LS1 related sites. SOME of those sites have pissed us off in the past, and we'd rather not throw them a bone here.
Old 04-14-2008, 10:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default do it!

would love to see a FAQ section. the forum i follow for my 90 300zxtt has a basic standard faq section by "interest area", eg. heads, transmissions, turbos, etc and then an "auto faq" section where if a member posts a great write up with pics, etc the members hit the VTF (vote to faq) icon. at some point (don't recall) it is then moved into the FAQ section.
Old 08-03-2008, 10:11 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by midnightbluS10
There's a how-to/youtube-like site in the works.

Wouldn't vids make life much easier?
I appreciate the mention of our new site. Thats the idea, video can make life easier.

The biggest misconception IMO is how much work is actually involved in it. I can grab a flip video camera and with one button hit record and capture some decent video. Then when its time to upload its just a matter of flipping out the USB connector. If you aren't too **** about editing its literally only a few minutes until its on your computer ready to upload.
(handy little point and shoot)

For the more planned out projects I have a Canon HV20 HD camera that shoots extremely good quality, but I can spend hours editing and sometimes that just takes the fun out of it.

What I'm trying to tell people is to just grab the Flip camera whenever your in the garage and just shoot a 30-90 sec clip of one subject. It doesn't have to be preplanned, and as a matter of fact some of the best content comes from capturing stuff as you are finding it out for yourself. That way you are explaining it just as you are figuring it out so its much more likely that the explanation is easy to follow.

Take for example the TV shows, they never capture the real world type stuff you'll run into doing a modification they just cut to the next scene. Thats fine for entertainment but if you really want to understand the process you probably won't be gaining much from those shows.

A video of a special tool that you found that saves a ton of headaches, a video of a part you had custom made because nobody offered it, a video of a sequence in which you edit your fuel / spark tables, a video of how you went through your newly purchased Fbody to identify all the good / bad mods done by the previous owner.....etc etc.

This is something that manufacturers should really consider as well. When you think of all the calls about how to install your product that could have easily been demonstrated in a video, my thoughts are that not only will sales increase but customer service expense will decrease. Making life easier for your customers, and less time on the phone, everybody wins.
Old 08-03-2008, 10:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

I actually made a site like what was described (Wikipedia), had it up for a month, give or take, and didn't get enough traffic so I deleted it.
Old 08-21-2008, 05:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

i would love to contribute to this endevor. subscribing
Old 09-19-2008, 12:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by xBROKEx
i know there are a few sites out there like ls1howto.com and install university but it seem like there writes ups dont get updated much and there arent many new articles. Would there be any interest in a write up site thats updated more frequently and can have stuff submitted by tech members and such? I have the time and the know how to do it, just wondering if anyone would be interested
http://www.createforum.com/fbodyinstall/
Old 09-19-2008, 01:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

this would be great. a website that specializes in how to install parts for fbodies would be a blessing for all of us and a curse for the ricers out there. Just think how much money this could save us..for those of us that aren't extremely mechanical we are often left with having to pay someone to install parts for us. that could change if we had the good directions and the knowledge to do it ourselves. I recently got a quote to install lt headers and an ORY on my lt1 and the owner(very nice guy btw) told me it would be anywhere from $500-$600(he was also going to install a gmmg catback and cats.)...that is more than the brand new lpp stainless steel headers and y-pipe cost! I do not have that kinda money laying around. go for this. I will help if i can.
Old 09-19-2008, 02:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thumbs up Dooooo It!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

God, please. i beg you.

I basically live on this site, there is a **** load of info to be found if you know hoe to look and what to type into the search field. The issue is there are sometimes multiple threads one the same thing so an issue arrises when your trying to piece together information.

I have all the websites; Fbody and install fix it guide, ls1howto, install university, project trans am, ls1howtopage, fbody.com, and a couple more. While these all offer great guides, the biggest issue i run into is the links to the guides are no longer valid. Either the domain went down or the owner dropped the site. Another issue is that the sites that do work no longer update their site or add info. Maybe that is b/c they figure no one else in interested or that they know that another site has the info; but that site they think has it no longer has it.

My personal issue is; i kno how to turn a wrench, i'm no means a mechanic, but i kno my way around a car. I know how to do ****, just not the intra-cases on how to do **** (like what you have to remove in order to install said part or what other steps you need to take other then just bolting or unbolting said part. Suspension example; tell ing people you have to "load" certain parts before you tighten them, ect)

If they created a spot on this site that grouped all install information and added more, that would be a-dream-*******-come-true!

i wouldn't worry about false info being displayed here either; the Mods do a great job as it is moderating threads, so obviously they monitor what is being typed, i think they wuold catch it right away.

Last edited by Nightrydass; 09-19-2008 at 02:30 PM.
Old 09-19-2008, 03:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

http://www.createforum.com/fbodyinstall/
Old 09-19-2008, 03:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LT1Formula26
Stop spamming.